Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

what would happen?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Masher88, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    If I connected my Avatar 4x10 (4 ohm) and my Avatar 2x10 (4 ohm) to my QSC PLX 3002 amp (1 cab on each channel..stereo). Would the 2x10 blow up before the 4x10...would I get some volume out of it due to adding more speakers? Just running the 4x10 bridged mono doesn't seem to be enough volume becuase the Avatar is a pretty inefficient cab. I'm looking to get louder (without carrying my 8x10 around...although it's sweet sounding and loud as hell!))

2. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    anyone?

3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

What are the specs of the QSC model amp you have?

4. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Specs from Zzounds website on this model:
    Watts Stereo Mode (both channels driven)
    8 ohms 20 Hz-20 kHz 0.03% THD: 550W
    4 ohms 20 Hz-20 kHz 0.05% THD: 800W
    2 ohms 1 kHz 1% THD: 1500W

Watts Bridge Mono Mode
    16 ohms 20 Hz-20 kHz 0.01% THD: 1100W
    8 ohms 20 Hz-20 kHz 0.01% THD: 2000W
    4 ohms 1 kHz 1% THD: 3000W

I can't imagine 800 watts into an avatar 410 not being enough juice to hear yourself, it's certainly enough to hurt the cab...More so the 3000 watts bridged into 4 ohms......you might try a more efficient cab like a schroeder 410, 21012, or 310212...but jeez, you really have a pretty good rig there. You have a mesa 400+ in your sig line that ought to also be more than enough to drive the av 410...

5. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

You would be louder by 2x10
    the 4x10 in driven by the mono'd amp outputs all that the amp can deliver (600watts??)
    the two cabs in stereo would get 300 each. so you are louder by 2x10.
    as far as which would blow first it would depend on the speakers in each cabinet.
    maybe neither would blow. As you have already mono'd the 4x10 it would mos def NOT blow because you have already driven it harder.

NOTE if you want louder you have to move more air...meaning use the 8x10 and deal with the weight.
    Physics rules!!

6. Thor

^ What they said.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Thor;
    (hi-jack) Your avatar looks like "Sweetmeat the Pig," St Louis radio station KSHE's mascot from the early 70's...

takin' me back to high school bro!

8. Thor

I'll PM you on it. I don't want to hijack the
    guys thread. ( Like I always do in the really violent Lobby
    threads with inanities...)

:ninja:

9. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I was just wondering because I tried hooking the 2x10 and 4x10 (thru the 2 ohm jacks) up to my Mesa 400+ and it seemed like the 2x10 was way louder than the 4x10. Weird because they both use Eminence delta 10's and the ohms are the same. I would have figured that the 4x10 would be the louder cab...seeing as it has more drivers. I figured maybe it has something to do with the 2 cabs being in parallel with the Mesa. So I wanted to try out with a stereo amp. I am fully aware that the 8x10 is going to be the louder cabinet. That wasn't my question. I'm just trying to do some experimenting.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'm not sure what you mean by "2 ohm jack", but the rest of your assumpton is correct, which leads me to believe you may have something wrong with your 410. Lets find out.

Are you familiar with the 9v battery test?

11. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Finally got to try out the Avatar 2x10" and 4x10" through my PLX amp at a show. While it being loud enough...it just didn't really have the low end. It was pretty mid-rangy sounding (I turned both tweeters off because highs are not my problem!!!). I could hear every note, but they carried very little weight. We played right after a guy with an Ampeg 8x10" and I definately sounded weak compared to his rig. After much research and reading I ordered a Scheoder 310212 to replace my Ampeg 8x10" that I use at practice. It's a great sounding cab, but it's too big. The schroeder is half the size and weight, but it suposedly is bigger sounding than the 8x10" and it'll fit in my car! We'll see how it sounds. Oh yeah...both Avatar cabs were in phase and so are the cables that connect them.

12. captainmax

captainmax

Jul 20, 2005
    maybe the 2x10 is louder because you have more watts going into each individual speaker? ex- 2x10 and 4x10 both with 400w of power...each speaker in the 2x10 would be getting 200w, and each in the 4x10 would be getting 100w? i dunno if im right or not, im new to speakers and power and all. just my 2 cents.

13. Rumple

Rumple

May 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Im not a speaker wiz either but I think that is exactly what is happeninng!

14. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Interesting theory! I wish I had a meter or something to check that out. I guess it doesn't matter since the sound of it wasn't very pleasing. I can't wait for my Schroeder to arrive!