1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What would you do - E or Eb

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by t77mackie, Aug 27, 2012.

1. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    I was TABing a song for dude, and the first chord is Eb - so I assumed I'd need to tune a half step down. I did the whole thing, uploaded the TAB and wrapped it all up and then I realized; the bass player never hits the low E (flat). There was no reason to tune down.

So what is it? What would you do? Transcribe a half step down in E or transcribe in Eb? 7th fret or 6th (on the A string)?

The song / TAB in question:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f66/all-these-things-bass-tab-911177/#post13098668

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    As you said in the linked thread, there is no reason to use an alternate tuning for this. Transcribe it in Eb.

3. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    And that's the trouble with tab. If this was being written in notation for bass clef the note would be written as Eb.

It's not unusual for musician or band to tune down half a step to be able to play in familiar boxes while accommodating a singer's preference (and probably other reasons).

Since tab is usually an attempt at note for note transcribing it would be better to transcribe it in Eb, IMHO....

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Whenever I tab out songs for people I tab it in the original recordings tuning, unless they specifically request they want it in drop D or whatever.

If the original recording is played in Eb you tab it in Eb, it is their job to transpose if they would like to.

5. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Yeah, roger that.

And I hate, hate, hate, hate tuning my bass down!

:meh:

6. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    You don't need to tune down to play in Eb. I'm certain that the bass player who recorded this originally in 1962 was tuned to standard tuning.

7. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    Yeah, lesson learned after the fact...

But for me, personally, who can't leave well enough (the song) alone, I'm gonna improvise the crap over it. So I'd want that low E (flat).