Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Whats a used Spector CR4 worth?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nocturnal, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Sorry if this isn't the correct forum for this, but it seems to fit here. I'm looking at used Spector CR4 & 5's and saw a 4 string that I really like. It's a 97 SSD (Stuart Spector Design) neck-thru, supposed to be near mint. It has EMG p/j's and EMG preamp in it. Has dot inlays and comes with a gig bag. Doesn't $999 seem high for one that age? I'm not looking for a steal on one, but I don't want to get taken either. It seems like they go around $800-900 for a much newer one on ebay. It's at a store, so it's possible to talk them down. Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.

Andy

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I've bought that identical bass, used on ebay in good-vgc, in trans red on flame maple for $500. That was a steal, but I wouldn't spend a penny over 600-650 on one that old. The emg/emg setup was blah to my ears.

3. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    Thanks for the info Tim. I'm glad to see I wasn't of base on the pricing.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh,
    $700 tops. A buddy of mine shipped me one trying to convert me. EMGs too. Have an Ibanez GSR 200 with EMGs and BTC. Put the same strings on both, ran them through the same rig, hardly a trace of variation - but it was the Ibe by a nose. The graphite neck was nice. But it weighed 10 lbs, and had that Ergo body that didn't let me get a good angle. Plus I had less than $250 in the Ibe, it weighs in at
    7 1/2 lbs (sweet), and the neck is faster. He sold the CR on ebay for little over $600 w/hsc, and it was prestine. For what it's worth.