whats chris chaney up to?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by snapple, Apr 28, 2005.

1. snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    its been a while since the once again break up of janes addiction, so whats chris up to? i heard he was in one of dave navarro's billion bands but did he stick to it?
  2. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    He played on Steven Curtis Chapman's latest CD.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    He's a great bassist, one of my favorites actually. Good sense of style too. Nothing goes better with a LPB P-bass than purple pants, right?

No website either :(
  4. bassboy89

Dec 24, 2003
    his startd to play in a band called "panic channel" with dave and steve (from jane's addiction) and some singer
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    So far I like what I hear!
  6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    didn't he play on the last Alanis Morisette album? He was/is her regular bassist I think..
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    He played with Alanis, as well as Michelle Branch (apparently they were in the same studio and she was looking for a bassist and ran into him) and he did great work on both albums. However, I was listening to Jagged Little Pill the other day and was quite upset to find out that that amazing bass playing wasn't Chris.
  8. Franz Jr.

Franz Jr. Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    The singer is Steve Isaacs. He was in a band called Skycyle, and they put out an EP and one full length album on MCA. The album is called ones and zeros., and it kicks ass.
  9. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    I did a quick search for Chris Chaney and found this thread, so I figured I'd add on.

Anyway, I'm in Seattle on vacation and I caught Chris Chaney last night at Jazz Alley with Robben Ford. What an amazing show! I'm not real familiar with all of Robben's work but man after that show I'm a fan. Had Michael Landau also on guitar and Gary Novak on drums. Chris was kicking ass on his Sadowsky NYC Vintage 5 and Aguilar rig. He only took one ride but it was smokin. Great band and great show, check them out if they are in your area!
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm 80% sure I saw him playing with Peeping Tom (Mike Patton's hip hopish project) on Conan O'Brien.
  11. chris is damn good for sure. but i doubt i'm the only one who seriously misses eric avery when speaking of things janes addiction. his lines were not complicated but man were they cool!
  12. That must have been awesome.... Novak, Landau, Chaney and Roggen Ford... wow... some of my favorite players.

Ford's 'classic' CD is called 'Talk to Your Daughter'.... just fabulous stuff and great songwriting also. He also does some wonderful work on Joni Mitchell's live CD (Miles of Aisles, or something like that)... he was very young at the time... smokin'.

13. 300m

Jun 7, 2006
    Newport News, Va
    I like Robbin. I saw him with John Mayhal with JM band doing the backup for the show. Very good show!
  14. It wasn't.
  15. Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Eric is cool. I actually lifted one of his lines years ago and didn't realize it until I heard the playback. Made me go back and listen more carefully to him. What a great band the original Jane's was.
  16. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    You oughta know is flea.

I know he played bass on Taylor Hawkins' new cd (the coattail riders or something to that extent).
  17. eboe

Jul 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    scuttlebutt on the street is that eric will be the bass player for the reformed smashing pumpkins. talk about full circle (the early pumpkins stuff just screams "nothing's shocking", and one of their earliest gigs was opening for Janes in Chicago)
  18. eboe

Jul 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    some were a bit tricky (then she did), but all were tasty!!!
  19. mfogey

Feb 12, 2008
    One of the things that makes Chris so good is his drive to get better. We were good friends growing up together in Nor Cal and I'd often crash at his place on weekends. That guy used to wake up early after a night of partying, grab his bass and the Real Book and just practice standards by himself for hours. All he wanted to do was play and get better. Still does and that's why his phone rings off the hook to do session work and tour with some of the best musicians out there, no matter the style. One of the funniest and coolest dudes you'll ever meet to boot!
  20. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Two year old thread revival. Nice call.