1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's in a name?

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by Stride000, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    Ok so you been trying to break into a scene freelancing and doing sessions for about 2 and a half years. You got some gigs but nowhere near enough to pay the bills. You notice that a peace of gear you always use is catching attention and while goofing around you come up with a name for it that could sound like a stage name. And you notice that since then some of your collegues are starting to use the name sometimes.

What do you do??

Keep your real name or switch to the stage name?

2. funkometer

funkometer Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Birmingham AL
    Well, you could change your name to some diff spelling of Jaco:ninja:

3. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Peanoh...Gehdee...Bewtsie?

As far as your stage name, if it doesn't suck, it could be totally rad to have a stage name! What the hell, you know?

JMJ

4. Stride000

Stride000

Mar 15, 2006
    I'm just not sure if scrapping all the effort I put into establishing my name to go with that stage name others seem to catch on calling me is a good idea.

On the other hand, why fight with something that seems to be catching on and help people remember me more and therefore bringing in more gigs.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd go with it if it's cool sounding. A young English singer/bassist in the 70's had a nickname thrust upon him because of a favorite shirt. He wisely adapted the nickname. It made him a star, and today we all know him as Sting. That could be you, bro!

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    hooray for present tense active verbs!

Er, wait.

I have a brown shirt.

Does that make me $h1T?

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yes. You should pair up with a guy who has a white shirt with brown and black spots and you can call your act "Bull$h17."

8. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    so,

what is the stage name you are thinking of

and what type of gear, how did you come up with it?

we need more info!

al