Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

What's more important to you at this point?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by GrooveMonkey, Feb 8, 2004.

1. CD Sales $$$

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. Exposure that gets you gigs and gig $$$

51 vote(s)
    92.7%
  1. What's more important to you at this point?

Money from CD sales?

or

Exposure that gets you money from gigs?

I stole this exerpt from a friend's site: http://www.dudethisrocks.com/DudePromote2.htm

Check out his entire album "Honkey Inferno" which is freely available for download (slow but worth it IMO) or he'll mail you one for free! What a guy!

Get it here: http://www.dudethisrocks.com

Strategic inclusion on file-sharing services

It might sound weird, but if there's a buzz going on about your band, it's really good to have tunes on file-sharing sites like Kazaa & Gnutella. That way, if someone hears about you, they have a way to check your music out for free. You may have to host the music yourself at first (putting your own songs in your download/upload folder), but hopefully once some pople download the music, they'll have it up there for fellow file sharers to DL. Leaving my computer on while ya' sleep & while logged on to these sites always helped me out. Include other mainstream artists that sound like you in your Shared Folder, so if someone downloads some rare Primus from you & checks out your PlayList, they might be interested in the other new music you dig. If you want to get creative, include the band names of your influences in your MP3 file-names: (e.g. Yolk<Sounds like Primus>Oblivion.MP3). This way, when people are searching for the music of more mainstream artists, they have a better chance of stumbling across your demo.

I've done this with music from my band STAN. If any of you agree with this type of promotional effort, let me know. Maybe we could do a file swap and offer to host each others stuff.

GM

2. Without playing gigs, you can't sell the c.d"s I guess. plug the cd's at the gigs.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    since i'm not a royalty artist, the most important things are:

gig money
    pension contributions from the gigs

you work your life to retire

4. Pirate

Pirate

Mar 6, 2004
    I enjoy playing gigs a lot more than recording, so I'd rather get money from what I like more.

5. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    the CD sales are just nice icing. Its the gigs that pay the bills