1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Whats the best pickups for carrots replacement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by davy4575, Jan 5, 2018.

1. davy4575

davy4575

Nov 4, 2009
    Denver, CO
    In all seriousness. I have two basses that I love but hate the pickups. Both have mudbuckers. and I am looking to find the simplest change on both basses.

One is a Dean. I love the neck, the action. I have considered shooting the bass though. Nothing but low end. Im looking for a really simple solution of just changing out the pick ups to the brightest, most articulate type that simply readily swap out. I dont care about noisy, clanky, string noise, and artifacts. i love that stuff and its part of my sound. Its a cheap bass, Im not looking to reinvent the wheel with it, just a direct swap passive soapbar or mm style, whichever is brightest.

Bass two. Spector holoflash x4. I have a spector legend classic 5 with EMG Hz and the tonepump jr. Love that bass, so bright, punchy and clean. I was expecting the x4 to be the same. Its not. SSD pickups, I have no idea what the pre is. I hate them with a passion. Cannot get the damn mid out of it no matter what I do. Sounds like every bad late 70s early 80s rock bass rolled into one hideous evil lo mid mud factory. Id rather listen to a yoko ono concert that have that tone. I fail to understand how in the heck Spector could produce pups that bad but....nonetheless, Do I need to change out the pre and eq from a legend classic as well as the pups, or can i just stick a set of EMG hz's into the x4.

Im extremely lazy, and dont feel like getting into a bunch of complex wiring and changing of nobs and crap. Please help my brofessors

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    FWIW, pickups like this are considered mudbuckers, so your post was a little confusing at first. FD78A875-296E-4771-B3E3-095CD5408F6E.

ctmullins likes this.
  3. davy4575

davy4575

Nov 4, 2009
    Denver, CO
    what is that?

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Just clean the mud.

5. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    8C023733-AC49-435F-BF86-F293264939BC.
    It’s a pickup you would find in a bass like the one above.

6. TheMaynorD

TheMaynorD Gold Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2013
    Oklahoma City
    Delano, nordstrand, bartolini and emg all make soapbar pickups. Nordstrand even does their single coils in soapbar form. If you like bright highs deep lows and clarity I would go with delano. Their dual coil pickups are marketed for that piano like tone. For more groely character, nordstrand single coils are amazing. For the lazy non tinkerers, EMG makes the "solderless" pickups that do add a lot of clarity to your tone. Or you could take it to a good tech and have them switch your pickups out. Honestly i would go on youtube and just search for sound tests of all the above brands until you find one you like.