1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

What's the black box on a p-bass?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tokethatsmoke, Oct 19, 2013.

1. tokethatsmoke

tokethatsmoke

Jul 1, 2013
    [​IMG]

What's the little black box thingie under the strings on a bass? o_O

2. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    A rest. Either called a thumb rest or finger rest. I believe back in the day it was to park your fingers on while you played with your thumb. Lots of guys like to put one on the other side of the strings to use as a place to rest their thumbs.

3. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    That's the original position "tug bar", a place for you to rest your fingers while you play with your thumb, which is how they originally envisioned electric bass would be played...
    Later, it moved to the E string side and became known as a thumb rest.

4. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    They put it there, so you can play the bass lefty like Jimi Hendrix, and rest your thumb there.

5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Finger rest when it's on that side of the strings. If it's on the other side of the strings, it's a thumbrest. I don't know anyone that actually uses them, but they look cool to me when they're in the position they are in your pictures.

6. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Its the super secret "Growl Box" installed to generate that famous P bass growl.

:bag:

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    That is where they used to put the preamp on the old basses ...

8. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User

Jul 29, 2010
    Downstate CA
    They could fit in there because they didn't use batteries. They had to be wound like watches. The automatic winding models required that you move around on stage enough to keep it going.

9. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Don't believe these guys. They're fulluvpoo.

That "little box" is a tone block. You can get them made from various types/species of wood, and each different type will change the tone of your bass. You can even get one made from steel if you like to play metal.

10. ya'll are havin too much fun

11. 4-stringB

4-stringB

Jun 10, 2010
    Tallahassee
    :D :bassist: :p

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    It's a weird carryover from the prototypes, which actually contained a bubble level, so you could achieve perfect vibrational coupling to the stage.

But it all proved too costly, and honestly, it was an ergonomic nightmare, what with the vibrational coupling necessitating a neck-pointed-down-stance...(but now they explain it away as "neck dive"...boooo) but the conundrum is Fender had already produced THOUSANDS of pickguards of varying materials, as evidenced by your own photo, so the holes were already there. So what else could they do than screw in a piece of painted scrap wood and call it a "feature".... ;)

13. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

It's a black box, like a flight recorder, so that if your band ever has a train wreck they can go back and analyse the black box and see if was the bassists fault!

14. Awesome Sauce

Awesome Sauce Already tired tomorrow

Dec 21, 2011
    NW Chicago 'burbs
    Awe, dang it! Beat me to it. :spit: :p :D

Rob
    :bassist:

15. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    When you're sitting on your Fender stool playing, the bass always tries to slide out and down your leg that it is resting on at some point; it allows you to grab it and pull it back.

For all other basses, I have to keep my keys in my pocket so they can't slide out on me over the bump.

Nothing worse than dropping your bass while practicing on a stool.

16. bass geetarist

bass geetarist

Jul 29, 2013
    toronto
    You put your weed in it

17. That's actually what led Larry Graham to use slap technique-the percussive vibrations were enough to keep the mechanism wound through a set. Between sets, his tech would gently rock the bass to keep it topped up.

18. Mojo container. DO NOT REMOVE!!!!

19. BanjoKing

BanjoKing

Oct 26, 2013
    My old kent fiddle bass had them rests on both sides, they are not very convenient

20. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

It's there to counter neck dive