1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Whats the real life volume difference?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jtc_hunter, Oct 5, 2008.

1. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    Whats the real life volume difference between a single 212 at 320 watts opposed to 480 watts?

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I think it's more a matter of headroom than volume. I presume you're talking solid-state watts?...

3. jtc_hunter

jtc_hunter

Feb 16, 2007
    yes, my 700 rbII is 320@8 and 480 @ 4. I have an 8ohm 212 Avatar cab and I really only want to run one cab. I have an opportunity to get a slightly used 4 ohm Avatar for $200-$250. I could sell mine and basically break even. Would it be worth the trouble?

4. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Well, just remember that the relationship to wattage and volume is not linear. If you double the wattage, you get a +3 dB difference in speaker loudness, which is not *that* much more than the threshold of human perception. To double the maximum volume, you would have to have 10x more power (measured in watts), which would give you +10 dB (in other words, twice the volume). Speaker loudness (volume) really depends on the efficiency of the speakers, not just the wattage. More wattage gives you cleaner tone when pushed (more headroom), but the number of speakers you're using, and how efficient they are, translates into more volume.

If you're not planning to run multiple cabs, I would think that you'd want the 4-ohm cab, so you can get a little more juice out of your amp. Are you lacking in volume now?

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Probably none. It's the rare twelve that can make use of more than 100 to 120 watts before farting out. A speaker's power rating only tells you how much juice it will take without burning out the voice coils. Displacement limited power is what really counts, and that's a figure that no one publishes.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    its more of a safety cushin (sp?) to speaker damage than dramatic volume increase. TRANSLATION: use a bigger amp when possible...

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, between my 300w SVT and my 500w LMII, there is only a slight volume boost with the LMII.

And I swear to God I will put a voodoo curse on the first person that says "tube watts are louder than SS watts."

8. tube watts are louder than SS watts :smug:

sorry Jimmy ;)

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yeah, you'll be sorry when your genitals start to feel like they're burning off!

10. bitethisbullet

bitethisbullet

Aug 24, 2008
    ROFLMAO

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx

Almost none. You'd have to boost your wattage to almost 600 to get much of a noticable difference. The difference is in headroom, ie. the amp isn't straining and having to work so hard to get what you need, has some power in reserve. Means a cleaner, clearer sound and less taxing on the amp, if you want the grit, that's what the boost knob is for in your case, or some pedals or other effects.

12. :meh::):eyebrow::confused::smug::eek::eek::hyper::mad::crying::rolleyes::help::cool::ninja::p:bag:;):bassist::D:bawl::oops::scowl::spit::(:rollno::atoz:

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Jimmy, is your MB only slightly louder than your SVT?:D

14. thats not funny man...it was a strange night last night :rollno:

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yep, only slightly. It's noticeable, but if you're talking clean volume, the MB does have a little extra volume.

Jusballs, I have lifted the voodoo curse from your genitals. Go forth and sin no more ;)

16. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    If you're only going to run one cab you might as well have a four ohm. But if you're happy with the cab you have you might as well keep it. I think Bill Fitzmaurice nailed it. Eights are nice because if you ever need to _REALLY_ ramp up the volume, just add a second eight ohm cab to your setup and you'll get a significant bump.

Speaker cone area/speaker efficiency is the more effective way to gain SPLs (vs. wattage).

KO