1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

What's the word on Ocean basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Liko, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Liko

Liko

Mar 30, 2007
    GC had a few Ocean basses in stock this past Friday. Indonesian-made, don't know where the company HQ and R&D are. I played a couple of four and five-stringers, and was impressed. Neck-through with a well-sculpted heel made it very easy to play. The finish was practically bare wood; I like that feel, but many here may not. Looked good in a black stain, a little plain in full natural. Two Bart Mk1 soapbars with a 3-band EQ; I liked the sound of the pickups, but the EQ was a bit fiddly; turning up the mid made it honky very quickly, but just a smidge over flat gave me a great slap. It has an active-passive switch, which is a plus. The string spacing is a little narrow at the nut for my tastes but I prefer a wider spacing than most (The spacing between any two strings on my TRB is equivalent to a four-string Jazz; pretty wide for a five IME).

Anyone else seen these? It was tempting, but I think I'll keep my TRB for the time being.

2. I tinkered with one at GC the last time I was there. They're good feeling basses, but I'm not sure if I'd ever get one. The mids were a little squirley IMHO, but the active/passive switch was a nice touch.
    I think I'd let them sit on the market a few years longer to see how they fair with other folks before buying one meself, but that's just me :smug: .

3. MaxZolt

MaxZolt

Aug 21, 2007
    Westport, CT
    I tried out an Ocean fretless 4-string in GC a few months ago, and I was very impressed. The fit and finish seemed great, and the tone and playability were excellent, which is even more impressive considering the condition of some GC basses.

I didn't end up walking out with one, as I already had another bass in the pipeline from Carvin. Had I been planning on buying a bass that day, I would have almost definitely walked away with that Ocean.

All in all, well worth the money, and a great choice for someone interested in a moderately priced fretless. If the fretted 4 and 5-string are the same, it's a great lineup of basses. Oh, and I think they look awesome too.