1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

whats your favorite acoustic

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MarkMcBass, Apr 10, 2010.

1. MarkMcBass

MarkMcBass

Apr 7, 2010
    whats your favorite kind of acoustic bass? i use a dean..its pretty decent! but im looking into high ended ones

2. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    I was exploring this myself a while back. I settled for an Ibanez as a beater and so far am very impressed. It's also peaked my interest on eventually getting a better one.

The Michael Kellys gained my attention, but I couldn't find one to try out. He has some mid to high end that got raves. I was going to pull the trigger on a Visionary because of the neck design (the neck itself raises and lowers against the body), but again, no one had them in store besides Manhattan at the time.

3. The best one I ever played was a Tacoma Thunderchief.

4. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Currently... Takamine B10.

5. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    It's kind of a tie between the Ibanezes that are out now in the exotic wood series or the Taylor acoustics that used to be made. I wanted one of those so bad but couldn't afford the mat the time they were made.

6. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    I've played or owned most of the acoustic basses on the market.

I've never been more happy than I am with my current: Fender Kingman. It's got a great feel and sounds nice plugged in.

7. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    I've played quite a few.
    The Michael Kelley's are pretty, but did not sound appreciably better than the much lower-priced Deans.
    I had an Ovation, it was just meh, mostly used in amplified, though.
    At the NAMM show I tried a Klein/Taylor, it looked amazing, but... it was NAMM... the ambient noise at the show just obliterated the sound, still not loud enough to play unamplified.
    I tried out a Fender Vic Bailey, it also looked cool, but again, not much output acoustically.
    I have not tried the Thunderchief or the Warwick Alien.
    Played several Carvins...tried hard to like them, but really no acoustic output to speak of. Just hollow feedback-traps.
    I tried out Fender Kingman in NY last fall, it sounded less-than average, and felt really weird with the solid, heavy neck and the lightweight body, like the world champion of neck-dive. Weird, schizophrenic uncomfortable instrument.
    One of the BEST sounding acoustic basses I've tried was a Martin at McCabe's... it actually had some balls, but it also had a pretty good price tag, as I recall.
    The Takamine looks interesting... never tried one, though. Also never had my hands on an Earthwood, but the body size might actually give it a chance to develop a bit of acoustic oomph.

I don't think acoustic bass guitar is a very good idea. They're just hollowbody electric bass guitars "styled" in the manner of acoustic guitars. You still need an amp, unless you're just sitting on the couch in the living room by yourself.

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    My favorite one, believe it or not, was the Fender Victor Bailey. Super comfortable to play. Not very loud though...

9. i would have to say a tacoma thunderchief. they're a bit fragile, but i think that it is the light construction that allows the body to resonate so well. the sound just jumped out of the bass, and it was nice to take to the porch and play acoustically with out having to kill your hands to get a decent volume. i had the one with the fishman preamp and used to blend the sound of a microphone with the onboard preamp to get this huge, rich articulate sound. construction was top notch. i owned a godin a4 fretless as well. it was nice but it is intended to be played with an amp and it had a very quiet and undistinguished acoustic sound. in a quiet room it was nice to play but the sound got buried easily if not playing through an amp.

10. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    Yes....

I have a Michael Kelly.. sold the TC... but it had the best sound... it is fragile though.. I also played na Alvarez Yari that was very nice... I was trying to pick between that and the TC when I got it back in 02 I think it was... The Kelly is ok.. not as resonant and full as the TC.. nothing a little EQing cant fix though.. on it's own it lacks... but I rarely play it with more than one or 2 guitars..

11. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    Anything Martin. USA Martin of course.

12. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I played a USA Martin acoustic bass at Mandolin Brothers. I didn't like its satin finish, it looked cheesy. It didn't sound bad though.