When (beginner, intermediate, advanced, ...) can one truly appreciate a high-end bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPK_DK, Sep 5, 2020.

1. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    Isn't that some crazy stuff? I'm a hack at double bass - just enough to get through country and classic rock gigs (where it might fit) and claw my way through a couple symphony gigs my wife roped me into. I looked into better bows than what I have and said, "Nope....nope nope nope nope."

darkinners likes this.
  2. Achtelbeat

Achtelbeat

Jan 29, 2020
    Yeah, the same Bösendorfer experience I had like 40 years ago when I first played one.
    And it explaned to me very very clearly what to practice on. Maybe this is what a high end musical instrument / bass is good for.

ShawnG and JPK_DK like this.
  3. Drifter8230

Drifter8230

Sep 4, 2020
    NOVA
    Its almost like the high-prices are a "gate." We can't have the unwashed masses playing classical instruments!!! This is fancy stuff here :)

QweziRider likes this.
  4. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2008
    Northern Nevada, U.S.
    They saw me coming a mile away and said "lock the door!!"

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member In Memoriam

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I say all the power to those who were able to buy a very nice bass starting out. I had to wait a while to buy my first Jazz bass and it was on time from my bass teacher in high school. But boy did I love it when I finally got my new (old) bass!

DigitalMan likes this.
  6. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Sometimes people don't know enough to know better.
    Until they are shown better.

Delsan and JPK_DK like this.
  7. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

"molasian"?":rollno:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    Delsan likes this.
  8. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Whatever dude

9. Delsan

Delsan

Nov 21, 2015
    Allentown
    Oh yeah no. But Fodera is an outlier for...almost anybody.

I agree that any bassist would be better suited to starting on a Squier, etc. etc. You gotta see if the instrument is gonna stick. Nobody's first car is a Lambo, and nobody's first bass should be a Ritter lol.

But if a bassist is lucky enough that maybe their dad or some other relative played, and their first bass is a Japanese Fender or a Vintage Stingray, you give em a nod and say "you better treat that thing right".

Les Fret and JPK_DK like this.
  10. Delsan

Delsan

Nov 21, 2015
    Allentown
    When I first started I remember thinking Rickenbackers must be "the best" cause in all the Musicians Friend magazines they had "call for price".

(I was 12)

JPK_DK likes this.
  11. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Columbia, MD Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    But with cars, you don't start with a Lambo because it can kill you if you don't know what you're doing. Not so with basses. There are usually ways to downtune a lot of high end cars, partially for valets and partially because kids will get a $125k vehicle for their first car. Not my kids.

JPK_DK likes this.
  12. Delsan

Delsan

Nov 21, 2015
    Allentown
    A $10k investment can kill you too, if you don't know how to get gigs and you have a wife.

What I mean to say is, you extrapolated the wrong point from my reply lol.

13. LowWay

LowWay It’s got 4 strings ‘cause they’re bigger! Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    Not me. I love seeing new players with nice gear. I love seeing anyone finding joy in music how ever they can.

ShawnG and DigitalMan like this.
  14. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Even with cars some people think you should buy your kid a beater, while others think you should buy your kid a new car that has all the latest safety features. In both cases, I'm somewhere in the middle, starting on a better bass will probably help you learn easier because you're not fighting the instrument. But it doesn't have to be a Fodera.

LowWay likes this.
  15. LowWay

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    my first bass was a brand new guild pilot, with the original headstock, real EMGs, and it cost 200x my hourly gross pay. My first Amp was a GK 400RB and a 4x10. So probably 250x my take home pay as a 16 year old. That’s 25 weeks pay if I save every penny. About 6 months. For the bass. Another 6 months for the amp.

I loved it. Never had a bass below that quality. In the mid ‘80s MIM Fenders were garbage.

Now you can buy a bass for $300, put $150 into pickups, $50 into a good setup, and have a seriously decent playing instrument that sounds great. And for a kid starting out, you don’t need the pickups right away, but good tone is the joy of the beast. The game has changed.

JPK_DK and Delsan like this.
  16. Delsan

Delsan

Nov 21, 2015
    Allentown
    If it's not a Fodera, then it's not the Lamborghini equivalent of bass.

If you're saying "buy a stingray as your first bass" yeah whatever, go ahead. It might be a really crappy investment if you end up not liking the instrument, but some people can afford it.

If a Fodera is a Lambo then a Stingray is a low end Mercedes, or a high end trim Toyota. Your call.

17. inchoate

inchoate Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2019
    Philly
    I got very lucky and when I got started a friend of my dad’s was able to lend me a 60s Fender Jazz Bass. Having a good instrument made learning a lot easier. I ended up buying it years later and 35 some odd years on I still have it.

That said, a Squier with a good setup probably would have worked just fine for me.

JPK_DK and Delsan like this.
  18. Delsan

Delsan

Nov 21, 2015
    Allentown
    I got my first when I was 14. I had some modest savings by that point, and I bought a Squier Affinity.

It wasn't much but it got me through the initial learning curve until I learned enough to buy my first Warwick, some basses later.

I still have the Warwick.

LowWay likes this.
  19. LowWay

Dec 16, 2009
    W Mass
    My second bass was a ric. Hated it. Didn’t like the tone, didn’t like the feel, the hardware was odd and clunky, but I just had to get it because I found a used cherry burst for $500. Sold it less than a year later. That’s when I became spoiled for life with a pre-Gibson Tobias with bartolini j/j pickups and that was a quantum leap. From there only really nice stuff would do, and I’m now a Bordwell conver for life.

Delsan likes this.
  20. RichSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    My first bass was a Cort headless that I bought when I was in the Army. The neck was less than stable and somewhat like a Whamola. So, I saved up some money and got a Steinberger XM2T (TransTrem) and that was my main and only bass for the next 15+ years. The TransTrem was a gimmick that I could have done without, but the neck was super stable and the action was consistent day to day, year to year. If I had stuck with the Cort, I doubt I'd be playing bass today.

LowWay likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021