1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When do you know ?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bagnonbass, Apr 30, 2010.

1. bagnonbass

bagnonbass

Aug 4, 2009
    DC-Maryland
    If your ready to start giging ? Are you EVER ready ? or do you get better by giging ? My sister thinks I'm ready to start playing with a band she's in , the band is pretty major in and outside my area . The thing is , i've been learning on my own for 2 years and I dont know if I'm there yet . I hear people say the best way to get better is to play with a band , so is this the way most of you pros got started , by jumping out there or did you take baby steps?

2. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I've played with two serious gigging bands in my life. One was about 5 months after I started playing. The other was a few years later. Both coincided with my making HUGE leaps forward in playing ability.

Go for it - you won't regret it.

3. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Might as well jump.... go ahead and jump

4. they can kill you ,but they probably won't eat you....seriously tho' worst case you have to retreat to the woodshed a spell......besides what better motivation than playing catch up

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Jim's right. It sounds like a good opportunity. Your sister has probably explained your situation to the band, and they are willing to give you a chance, which probably means that they will be supportive as you gain experience. If it is a well run band, then they will have more to gain from supporting your success than from kicking your arse.

And you definitely get better by gigging.

My first "gigs" were in school bands, so I eased my way into it. Still, I was nervous before my first paid gig with pro players. And even after hundreds of gigs, I still run into unexpected situation from time to time, including "back to the woodshed" moments.

6. Boguszewivz

Boguszewivz

Aug 29, 2009
    Ive heard that the best way to learn and improve is to play with people more experienced than you. I played with a band after playing bass for only a few months....it helped me quite a lot

7. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    You dont have to necessarily be in a band to play with others. You can always find others to just jam with.

However as fdeck says, your sister has probably explained your situation to the band. So I'd say why not give it a shot ? Try to get an idea of some of the songs that will be played.

8. Hit the root on the "one" of every measure, lock in with the drummer, groove like crazy, and they'll never want to get rid of you!;)

9. i took baby steps, i played nearly on my own for a few years and jammed with friends for fun for a few more years after that before i signed up for gigs, and i regret that, if i could do it all overagain, i would've started tryin to join bands/gigs from the time i knew how to tune all the way up, becuase even when i was turned down? i learned so much through the experience, and when i wasn't? i had a blast and learned almost just as much

you ain't got NOTHIN to lose