Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

When playing Rush - YYZ

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Figjam, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I started playing Rush- YYZ yesterday. For the main riffs, where do you like to put your thumb. I usually (for other songs) rest it on the neck pickup, but then the stretch to the G string gets kinda anoying, so lately ive been resting it on the E string, inbetween the 2 pickups.

2. for the easier parts i just put my thumb on the neck pickup but when it goes into the tougher parts i find it easier to rest my thumb on the neck>:cool:

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do you mean, around the last fret? I suppose that would work, because it is generally played on strings 1 and 2, so the tension wont be too loose to go fast.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My thumb is on my pick. ;)

I've been trying to play YYZ (on & off) for years & I can never get it right. I leave SOOOO much out cause I know I can't play it 1/4 as good as The Master.

On the occasions I do play with my fingers, I usually place my thumb on ont of the pickups (when playng on the E String. If I play the A, D or G, I rest my thumb on the string above it.

Example:
    If I'm playing on the G string, my thumb is anchored on the A or D string depending on what I'm playing.

5. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    floating thumb is good kung-fu!

6. Do you mean, around the last fret?

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

7. squire_pwr

squire_pwr

Apr 15, 2003
    San Diego, CA.
    My thumb sort of moves from the A string to around the pickup (I have a p-bass). I find playing the G with my thumb on the pickup is too long a stretch. I can't do those crazy solo riffs tho... not sure if I can even think that fast. Took me long enuf to somewhat play the main riff. :p

8. The_major_Rajor

The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    Canada
    i usually alternate between by neck pickup and my E string for the notes on the g string, that works for the whole song. If you have the video of yyz you can see that geddy will alternate from resting his fingers on the a,e and pickup. Its all a matter of what you feel comfortable with.

9. floating thumb = matrix/bass playing so be cool like me:cool:

10. fallon

fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Scotland
    In the words of the Almighty Frank Zappa,
    shut up and play you guitar.;¬)
    I jest from this side of the Atlantic,but I was
    distressed at the grounding of Concorde today.
    I think that this example of British/French brilliance eluded the yanks,such that they had to
    ban something 'bigger and better' than anything they ever could design..again,a big joke from a big Scottish joker.Slap bass?,website on the way sweethearts...That said,stay cool..Scotland's slap
    bassist.