where do i begin?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by vivalajazz, Feb 22, 2006.

1. vivalajazz

Feb 10, 2006

I have been playing bass for about a year though i have only been serious about it for a month or two. I have been trying to learn without a teacher and mostly through books and internet, and i should mention that I'm a teenager and i get sidetracked easily. I would like to learn a lot more about music theory because my technique is already pretty good. My main source of music theory knowledge is bass guitar for dummies, though I still have alot more to learn, i think.

Simply put I am getting alot of mixed information from my "sources" and I would just like to pointed in the right direction on where to start, i.e. ear training, reading sn, scales/chords etc. Which one first?

Thank you in advance for your help, i know there is probably already another thread out there talking about this but I've searched for the past few weeks and can't find anything.
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Getting a teacher is vital. Even if you are able to go only once a month, your knowledge will grow by leaps and bounds and any mixed information/confusion will disappear.
  3. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    I can't agree with the above more. You can ask just about any question on here and I GUARANTEE you're not going to get the same answer from everyone, therefore adding to your mixed information.

Look around for a teacher, preferably someone you feel comfortable with, and get learning!

Good luck.

4. My main source of music theory knowledge is bass guitar for dummies, though I still have alot more to learn, i think.

I tried bass guitar for dummies - either I'm a complete and utter dunce or not a dummy, cos I couldn't make head nor tail of where they were coming from. It seemed to jump all over the place, not completing any one thing at a time.
    Starting from the point of scales didn't work for me - specially since it doesn't tell you that scales are to be played in more than one key!! and how to therefore play them in another key.
    Get a teacher, it really does work.

5. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    Me, personally, I really enjoyed the bass players handbook. It covers equipment,technique and other stuff. I'd ;love to put a link, but apparently the fotum software isn't very pda friendly. Also, check out Reading Everything Music, should b a link under the GI book list at the top of this forum.
  6. tmart937

Jan 20, 2006
    I am in the same situation you are in as far as playing time. When I get stuck on theory and technique I just learn a new song by tab and try to apply that with what I have learned. It breaks the routine of scales and theory. I also learned just when you think you are on solid ground you learn something new and the floor disappears!!! Fun and frustrating all in one!
  7. joe ryan

joe ryan

Feb 25, 2006
    i am just starting with the bass, though i am a bit older (not by much:)

i have had many years of formal training on other instruments and i would say that learning music theory is vital to a performer's development. i feel like the discipline required to be a true musician can only be developed with the help of an instructor. i am at the point on the strings now where if i don't have an instructor, my bad habits are gonna affect my development.

if all a person does is play from tabs and learns no music theory, then what's gonna happen if they walk into a jam session with their tab in their head and everyone else says, hey, let's try it in a different key?