where do you pluck?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by tuBass, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Over the fingerboard

11 vote(s)
  2. Closer to the fingerboard, but not over it

3 vote(s)
  3. Closer to the bridge

1 vote(s)
  1. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I was wondering where the most common places to pluck a EUB for a classic Jazz sound. I tend to pluck over the fingerboard, but the band director of a student of mine wants him to pluck close to the bridge.

What do you think?
  2. Charles Shores

Charles Shores Commercial User

Jul 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Owner: Guitar Barre
  3. tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    That would be interesting, because I've seen photos of ray brown and Ron carter playing in the high register where their left and right hands are only a few inches apart.
  4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Usually from what I've seen/been taught, when you're playing normally your fingers don't go past the end of the fingerboard - EUB or Doghouse. Normally, I've seen everybody play about 1-3" above the end of the FB. Guys like Buster Williams will play closer to the end of the fingerboard. Too far up and you don't get enough attack. Too far close to the bridge and it's all attack but the sound is thin. Everybody finds their own happy medium.

When they go into thumb position (where the left hand comes much closer to the right) then the right hand moves further down to even out the sound. Still it doesn't stray that far from the end of the fingerboard from what I've seen. Just mess around with different spots and you'll hear the differences, the best where you get a full sound and some attack to the note.

Do you have a real jazz DB teacher? This is one of the basic questions that get answered right away when you have a teach. I mean with all respect, if you have to ask.... IMO, I wouldn't listen to your "student's" band teacher. As far as I know, playing right at the bridge is left for EB's and rare artistic decisions.