Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where do you stand on stage?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by the ombudsman, Sep 18, 2003.

1. To the drummer's hi-hat side

108 vote(s)
    49.3%
  2. To the drummer's floor tom side

67 vote(s)
    30.6%
  3. It doesn't matter, so I stand where the carrots are

44 vote(s)
    20.1%
  1. Where do you stand on stage? Why? I prefer being on the hi-hat side, so I can hear the drummer's "pulse" better. Of course it doesn't matter if you play with in-ear monitors!

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hi-hat side, best place to have good contact with the drummer IMO, both for the (hi-hat) pulse and for visual cues (I watch the drummers sticks to synch in after breaks, for ending crash hits and what have you).

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    behind the keyboard player.

the drummer and i are starting to be come telepathic on good gigs. he and i are getting a better groove the more we work together. we just have to look at each other most of the time and we just adjust.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

:eek:

I stand as far away as I can from skinwhackers like that!

Thor

devntran likes this.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    :eek: :eek:
    :D

Anyway, I stand near the front of the stage because I like the attention. I've NEVER had a problem with not being able to hear the drums and guitar. My only issue has been with not being able to hear vocals to songs I barely know.

6. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    It really has nothing to do with what side of the drummer, but on the Tom side. The Guitarist is left handed, so it works best for him to be on stage left, which happens to also be the high-hat side. That leaves me with the "other" side, not that I resent it but it does seem like left-overs. :)

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I tend to stand at the front, alongside the singers (or, sometimes, even in front of them!).

However, the main thing is finding a set up that gives good eye contact between all the band - we're not yet playing stages that are large enough to make hearing the problem. Now, all fitting on is a different matter... ;)

Wulf

8. Thor

:eek:

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I stand wherever there's room.

Sometimes, that does mean standing in a carrot field.

10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    You figured me out.... ;) :D

11. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    You're just jealous!!

:eek: :D

12. i stand on the hi-hat side but it a left handed drumset... so...

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I prefer the hi-hat side, because the tom side is also often the 'earsplitting crash cymbal' side. The hi-hat side has always been occupied by a percussionist in my main gig, but he quit this week, so maybe I can steal his spot...

:)

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Get an earplug (singular :D )

Wulf

15. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I often do just that, actually!

16. I try to stand on the tom side, so then when I look at the bass neck the drummer is in my field of vision too, it's kind of convenient that way.

17. Thor

I confess I have stood directly in front of
    my amp, so I could turn around, plink a harmonic,
    turn it to 10 or so, stand in the speaker node, and draw out the feedback note, driving the guitar player to premature orgasm.

The sound guy loved it too, chasing around trying to figure where the feedback was coming from.

Especially effective on those extended finales!

18. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    I've had to play the whole gig on a pool table once beacause the stage was so small...

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Small stages just added to the spinal tap flavor of my band.

20. Excuse my ignorance:confused: but when you say stage left/stage right are you looking at the stage from the audience or from the stage out?I'm a lefty so I'm on the right hand side of the stage? My guitarist is from the darkside:D(a righty) and I learned long ago that it's not a good idea to cross guitars:(

:bassist: