Where oh where is the jazz?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by JJBluegrasser, Oct 21, 2003.

1. JJBluegrasser

JJBluegrasser Wannabe Snazzy Dresser

Apr 17, 2003
    USA, Raleigh, NC
    Hi all,
    I live in Raleigh NC. I have long felt from talking to various people, that there is a pretty thriving jazz scene in my area somewhere. However, I can't seem to find anything that's really good. All I really see advertised around here is "jam band" music incorrectly classified as jazz (I know it's dangerous for me to "define" jazz as it's a pretty loose concept, but I think you know what I'm talking about here) . I'm looking for highly talented and skilled musicians really swinging and listening to each other.
    I know that Branford Marsalis just moved into the area, and there is a terrific bass player named John Brown who plays out some, but I don't seem to be plugged in to the scene enough to know where I need to be to hear good Jazz and to talk to these folks.
    I listen to alot of Jazz recordings, but I want to try and immerse myself in the culture more. Please don't let the JJBluegrasser thing throw you off. My favorite poet is James Weldon Johnson, and I really dig the vibe that comes from the music and jazz subculture, and I used to play Jazz and classical trumpet for years. I would like to put more of a jazz feel and mentality into my playing in any style, and so I want to find it here locally so that I can really hear it live frequently.

Is anyone out there familiar with this area enough to help me on this one? Please help this poor clueless kid get some culture.

Thanks for your time,

Ps. This post may be in the wrong section. Chris, please move me if my question would be more appropriate somewhere else.
  2. SleeperMan2000

Jul 31, 2002
    Cary NC

Blue Bayou club in Hillsboro has an open jazz jam I think on Wednesdays, give em a call and make sure. It's actually run by a bassist. Not sure what it's like but it's a start.

Also, check out the classifieds on www.raleighmusic.com Recently I saw an request for a jazz upright bassist for a quartet in Raleigh. Let me know if you want me to dredge that up for you.