1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to epoxy fretboard in OH?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fakeneckplate'65, Jun 3, 2014.

1. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    I recently bought a Lakland Skyline fretless bass off of craigslist. It's really in great condition, & I'd like to keep it that way. I find myself a little apprehensive to use it, because I prefer Rotosound SS Swingbass 66 strings, & I'd hate to leave permanent grooves in the rosewood fretboard.

Does anyone know of a luthier that would apply epoxy to the fretboard in the central OH area? I'm about 50 miles from Columbus & 45 from Athens, OH. I rather not do it myself. I am fully prepared to contact different shops, but, the guy I bought it from was told by one of the most reputable shops in town that epoxying the fretboard is COMPLETELY unnecessary, leaving me to believe, they don't have any experience doing such a thing.

Can I apply boiled linseed oil, etc to the board to darken it, knowing that it will be sealed under epoxy?

2. ericg203

ericg203

Apr 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Hello musikman 43155. There are a couple here in Columbus but I only have experience with Fifth Avenue Fret Shop www.fretshop.com. Excellent work at a reasonable price. I have had lots of work done there before I started to do my own after reading the posts here and asking questions. I would encourage you to at least consider DIY. There are lots of people here who have done it. BTW congrats on your Lakland!!

3. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    Jkennedyguitars in fairfield oh. Just north of Cincy.

4. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    I had Carl Pedigo coat 2 of my fretless basses....he does an excellent job.

Carlo Chicagobassdoctor.com

You won't regret coating it whomever you go to (assuming they do a good job)....

I like rounds on my fretless basses as well and the coating helps a lot

5. fakeneckplate'65

fakeneckplate'65 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    According to the previous owner, 5th Avenue Fretshop were the guys who discouraged epoxying the fretboard, because it would " never " be grooved enough to notice.