1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where to find Graphite for the neck?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Racsen, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Racsen

Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
    Turkey
    I have an old czech bass, Neck was 4/4 lenght but we cut the neck for 3/4 and changed the fingerboard.

We aren't glued fingerboard yet and I thought we can put graphite bars in the neck but I couldn't find an online store that sells them.I found some carbon fiber bars from stewmac.com.Is there any difference?

2. CPike

CPike

May 28, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Is there some inherent weakness in the neck wood that would lead you to believe it needs reinforcement? If the fingerboard is good ebony, and the neck is fine then why reinforce it? I would think that adding stiffer material to the neck might adversely affect the tone, as well. DB's aren't like EB's or guitars - they don't need truss rods...

Chris

3. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    opposite is true IME

4. Bofee

Bofee

Aug 19, 2005
    Grass Valley, CA
  5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    I get my carbon fibre reinforcement (1/4" x 1/2" x 18") from Luthier's Mercantile. http://www.lmii.com/

A stiffer neck seems to promote highs and clarify the articulation of all the notes.

I've installed C/F stiffeners in mandolins, guitars and basses and in all cases they've improved the tone of the instrument. The material adds no mass while greatly increasing the stiffness.

Go for it! :)