Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to find Jazz Transcriptions?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Amoilbasso, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Hallo,

is there someone here who knows where to find transcribed solos from Coltrane, Miles, Rollins etc,etc??? Some web site?

Thank You very very much!

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

3. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence
    Thank You very very much, Bruce!

I was just looking for Rollins's solo on St. thomas :)

4. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Isn't St. Thomas a great tune. I've always liked it.

Anyway, I know it's not what you were looking for, and you may already do this anyway, but transcribing these things yourself is you amazingly beneficial to your musical development, it's hard to express just how important I think that it is.

5. Amoilbasso

Amoilbasso

Apr 22, 2000
    Florence

It's hard to express how much I find you are right!

Thank You.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    jazzbo couldn't be more right, I'm working on my first real transcription right now(off the top-bela fleck) And it's a fairly simple song, but it's still so helpful to see the way that the melodies relate to the scales, to the chords, and to my instrument!

although I'm doing it in treble clef right now, I'll probably add the bass part later.

A word on transcribing, it can be very hard at first, and you may not be very satisfied with your results, but don't get discouraged, if you keep at it it will start to get easier, eventually I hope that if I keep it up I'll get to the point where I don't need to hear it, play it on my bass, then pick it apart on the chart, I want to remove the middle man(my bass) and just hear things and be able to know how to write them down, but I'm probably a loooooooooong way from that, oh well, it's something to aim for I guess.