Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to get 1/4" to mini plug for PC recording

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by hyoshim, May 3, 2005.

1. hyoshim

hyoshim Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    :confused: For those who had recorded your bass thru sound card, where did you find the plug? I bought couple of 1/4" to mini plug adapters from Radio Shack but none of them works. I'm totally baffled by it. HELP!!!

Hyo

2. gosid

gosid

Apr 21, 2005
    If you're in the uk try dropping this guy a line:
    robert@magicpocket.co.uk
    when I got my sound card setup for recording he made up all my cables to suit (including custom lengths).

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I use a $5 radioshack adaptor, it's the 3rd or 4th I've used in a year, some break, some have crapped out, but typically it's a very straightforward and simple piece of equipment.

That said, just getting your bass into the sound card isn't necessarily enough. You typically need to amplify the signal before or when it's in the computer. Some sound cards have built in amplification, some programs have software amplification, other than that, you'll likely just get a bunch of clicking noises if you try and 'record' that way.

The various options for getting a good bass signal include:
    Hardware amplification via your soundcard
    Software amplification via a program(I use garageband)
    Running from your bass amp out into the computer
    Running from a DI box out into your computer
    Running from a mixer out into your computer.

Based on certain variables, some of these methods may or may not work, but typically that's the idea behind it, you need to have an amplified signal to record, otherwise, it's not really going to work... at all.

This should probably be recording gear and equipment, I will move it there now, additionally, doing a search in that forum should yield further information about this topic.

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I have a cable from Radioshack that is 1/4" on one end and 1/8" (mini) on the other. An adapter would work too. Soundcards seem to be fickle. I used to have 2 computers: One would let me plug the 1/8" into the microphone input on the back of the computer, and it worked. The computer I am currently using doesn't seem to work no matter what I do.

I have a DigiTech BP200 pedal that I used as a direct box to improve my signal. BE CAREFUL, from what I understand, it is possible to FRY your soundcard. I got a really good result recording into Audacity audio software (free on the web). The problem I experienced doing multi-track recording on a Windows based computer was latency (the tracks did not line up properly).

I ended up getting a Fostex MR-8 to do my recording. I love it! Good luck with your PC recording. Remeber, BE CAREFUL TO NOT FRY YOUR SOUNDCARD. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Joe

5. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    deja Vu.. There was a thread started on this subject just within the last day or two.
    First, If it's an issue of the mini plug being loose be sure not to confuse 1/8" with the mini plug, 3/32" the mini plug is slightly smaller than what the soundcard accepts.

Second, make sure that you have a mono adapter (TS-Tip Sleeve) and not a Stereo Adaper (TRS-Tip Ring Sleeve) which is common for stereo headphone adapters. Most soundcards will only work with the mono adapter.

Third, Make sore that your MIC/Line In input is not muted under your audio properties.

that's all I have

6. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Quality,
    Thanks for clarification on some of those details. I wish you were around during my trial and error frustrations. Who would have known that soundcards were so picky?
    Joe

7. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    No problem Joe. I do PC recording all of the time so if anything comes up, just ask.
    There's a lot of info in the recording section on PC recording also, you just need to wade through it.

8. Uml...why is this in Recordings?

9. hyoshim

hyoshim Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Where would this be then???