1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to get pickguard material in Canada?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Arx, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    Anyone know of a good place to get pickguard material in Canada?

Most of the vendows in the states would cost as much for shipping as the cost of the material

I'm also curious if anyone knows any good alternative materials which will work well as a pickguard.

-Nick

2. all parts will send blanks or pre shaped and chandler but they are a little expensive.

3. Joey.Ogden

Joey.Ogden

Aug 11, 2008
    I'm making my first bass, and was considering using wood veneer as a decorative pickguard. I wouldn't have any hollow spots behind it, but if it's just for looks (control cavity access is at the back) you could get some cool figured wood.

Dave Neal likes this.
  4. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    The most common materials used for pickguards are vinyl or celluloid, but you can also use regular old PVC, or even acrylic plexiglas in a pinch. Hop over to your local craft or hobby store and take a look around - you'd be surprised what you can find.

If you want a standard shape, like MIA P, MIA J, or Ray, Guitar Parts Canada has those in the catalogue, and Greasy Groove has some interesting printed designs. They're based out of Montréal, QC and DeWinton, AB, respectively.

5. Arx

Arx

Jan 22, 2008
    A wood pickguard wouldn't really suit it. I've been thingking about using acrylic as an option. I could just spraypaint the back side with a compatible paint, and it would look good.
    I think I might prefer a dark perloid though if I can get it for reasonable money. Allparts would work, but the shipping is still pricy to Canada

-Nick