Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Where to play?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Warwickthumb, May 10, 2004.

1. Hey everyone! Well I hope this is the right place to post this. Well for years now Ive been in many christian bands. Ive never really had a hard time finding places to play. Ive been playing at a HIspanic church now for a little over a month now. And I really enjoy playing. They have a totally diffrent feel to the music, and I realy enjoy playing with them. The guitar player is a good friend of mine, he is just awesome. The drummer can do some really wicked beats, and me and him really hold down a solid groove. So I was thinking hey lets start a band. Which brings me to the reason I posted this question. I really dont know were to start. I know were the secular hispanic bands play but I dont know were the Hispanic Christian bands play around here. And im not really sure If there are any. I figured Chicago would be a good place to start. BUt its about an hour and a half away. I live in ROckford, and there is a big hispanic community here. Ive tried googling a search, but no luck, just a bunch of stuff about Salvador. Ill try to phrase this question the best I can. Basically, i know were the "white" bands play, there are tons of places here, but I dont know how a Hispanic band would be recived. So im trying to figure out were to start. Weve been working on a few songs, and most of it is in spanish. BUt english wouldnt be a problem either. Well any help would be appreciated.
    Joe

2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    That's a good question, although it's pretty locale specific. I was just in Rockford a few weeks ago, and found myself looking for musical entertainment. Didn't find very much. Now if you were out here in LA, I could definitely help you get started. :)

I don't know much about where the Hispanic communities are in the Chicago area. I was up in Madison for a while, which was kinda interesting 'cause I found more Hispanic stuff up there than reggae and the like.

What about colleges and universities? There's a ton of them in that area, right? They're always looking for something new and different. Many of them have sizable Christian communities too. Might be worth a check-out.

Good luck, I wish you success in your endeavor!

3. YOur right there isnt much here. The bigger name bands around here play either punk or heavy rock and some metal. NOt exactly my thing. THe only claim to fame we have is Cheap Trick. Now if you drove through Loves Park which is the north border of Rockford there is a new blues club. I havent been there yet. BUt i was happy to see it. Chicago may be my best bet. Were just writing some songs so i have some time to find some places. Anyone here in the Chicago area have any ideas?
    Joe

4. If your the only Latin band in the area you might acctually find that you could be in demend if for nothing else then the novelty. Try the "white" clubs and see.
    I know that in Ashville NC latin music has gotten kind of popular since the Latin community got larger there and even though I just visit friends there on a semi yearly basis we ussualy get to catch a latin act in some bar or other venue.
    I love to watch the "White people" try and salsa, it makes me laugh.

5. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    You might poke around the forums over on Christian Guitar Resources and possibly ask there. If I recall, they have sub-forums for bass and for specific regions of the US.

6. Well thanks guys for the tips. Hopefully ill have some luck.
    Joe

7. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    Hey,

I am from Rockford! What new blues club are you talking about in LP. I would reccomend the Paragon, but if you guys have christian lyrics it might freak out the club owners. But, if you are singing is Spanish maybe no one would know. I know Combo Locco and Tom Mac play there. Otherwise your only other option is to try other jazz clubs (Cafe Patou, Big Cities, Kikki B's). I dont think you would be able to advertise that you are a "Christian" band if you choose to play the jazz club scene. If you choose to play the "club" scene you might not be able to play christian tunes. You might have to compromise playing stnd latin tunes with christians. It is up to you and your bandmates if you are going to compromise. My band usually has a monthly gig at the Paragon. It is a jazz/fusion ensamble. The name of the band is Havana Honey. Come out and check us out. We are usually at the Paragon or Big Cities. It would be cool to meet some fellow TBr's. Below is a link to our music.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/1/havanahoneymusic.htm

8. Hey thanks for the response. The place im talking about is right by the bowling alley. In fact its the old Top Hat resturant. IM sorry I just cant remember the name off the top of my head. BUt i was at the bowling alley one night and i could hear blues coming from it across the street. It was the sweetest sound ive heard in a long time! As you know many factories in the Rockford area have closed down. Our guitar player/singer works at camcar. HE doesnt know when its finally going to be closed down. I work at Invensys in Loves PArk, and I got my fingers crossed that we wont be the next victim. So in the mean time were writting songs etc. THe idea of writing both secular and christian has come up. Well see, i just want to play.
    Joe