1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Where to (re)start?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JudgeSluggo, Aug 6, 2018.

1. JudgeSluggo

JudgeSluggo

Aug 6, 2018
    Elkhart, IN
    IN
    Good evening everyone,
    I had a Squier P-bass nearly 30 years ago and quite honestly, while I loved playing bass, the instrument SUCKED. Specifically, the neck was terrible. I ended up getting rid of the bass after about a year and never got another. Now, I'm feeling the need to get back into bass. I'm feeling the low end calling. Because of the price, I'm thinking of giving Squier another try, however, I'm also thinking buying a used bass might not be a bad way to go. Further, I'm curious as to whether a Jazz bass is easier to play, since the neck is a bit narrower. Thoughts? Prayers? All-out wars on this topic?

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Welcome!

With regard to quality, I think you will find that present-day Squiers are light years better than three decades ago. There are lots of fans here of both the Vintage Modified (VM) and Classic Vibe (CV) Squiers. Going used will always get you more for your money. And yes – for many folks (but not all), a Jazz is easier to play than a Precision because of the different neck/nut widths.

Happy shopping.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I've played Hofner, Fender Jazz and Ibanez Musician P/J, all with narrow necks. For me, I can maintain a straighter wrist while playing and never had any wrist problems.

4. Haroldo

Haroldo Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2005
    North Shore, MA
    Another recommendation for the Squier - particularly the Classic Vibe series, all-in-all great bargains.

If you are close to a music store with some (or a lot of) basses - fer instance, Sweetwater, just 70 miles down ol' Hiway 33 - a visit would acquaint you with what's available to a bassist these days.

Indeed, happy shopping!

5. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015

First and only advice from me.

Try the bass you are buying. Used or new, doesn't really matter, just try it in person.

Buying on line is not for you this time.

Try to mimicking the amp combo you plan on using. Do not plug a Squier into a $3-6K amp and signal processing and expect it to be a valid test unless you own that stuff.

lexefx, TolerancEJ, jackn1202 and 5 others like this.
  6. dragon2knight

dragon2knight Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2016
    Bronx, NY
    I'm also a new bassist and even though I'm already a musician I first read through some really great posts on here and listened to many folks I know who are bassists already and did this right the first time. I will echo the post I've quoted and say don't rely on online for your first bass, hit up any music store by you and actually hold one in your hands and take it from there. I'll also add to try out for a practice amp a Fender Rumble, either the 25 for $100.00 or the 40 for $200.00, you can't go wrong with either, they sound great. Do avoid the 15, for just $20.00 more the 25 blows it away. Have fun in your search and good luck to you!

7. lowdownthump

lowdownthump

Jul 17, 2004
    I’d say play as many basses as you can get your hands on. Find out what neck shape feels good in your hands.
    I would suggest when you do buy, look at a P/J style bass. That will give you a bit of the best of both worlds .

A new or used Sire P7, or used Yamaha BB424X, would be my suggestions .
    The Sire will give you a great preamp as well as offer traditional passive tones with a jazz neck. The Yamaha is a very aggressive passive bass with jazz neck.

If you want more traditional passive tones, I’d say go for a Squier Vintage Modified P/J.
    If you want a short scale try a fender mustang p/j. Plenty on the used market.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  8. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Weren't the Squiers from that time high-quality MIJs?

Edit: Maybe I'm thinking of the early 80s ones.

9. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    You might be correct about that. I was still playing Hoshino Gakki products (Ibanez) back then, and am basing my recollections on a particular friend's Squier Bullet bass that had a nasty twisted neck. That might've been a Korean-made Squier.

10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    with a bit of patience you can find a Peavey Zodiac BXP for under $100 and it may be all you'll ever need, mine took over as #1 very quickly while my other former #1s look on, which is kind of a bummer.
    here's one example currently @ GC but they're nuts for pricing it this high even tho it's worth it.
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/P...^358833319163-sku^114442526@ADL4GC-adType^PLA
    I could fill a page with similar great cheapos but this is one of the best bang 4 bucks in bass history imo and am so grateful I stumbled upon them. here's the style I got, I'll be getting another for flats...
    upload_2018-8-6_14-13-20.

Aqualung60 and mbelue like this.
  11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    I could talk all day about the Squier CV Jazz that I learned to play on or my new VM Jazz, but I won't. I'll only say that they're so much better than they used to be and some of them are every bit as good as some Fenders.
    Believe me, I try out between 50 and 60 basses a year but this year I only bought two...and one was a Squier.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
    dxb and Old Blastard like this.
  12. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I've never played a Squier that sucked. Even the little bullet strat that I got for my son has a place. If you're ashamed to wear the headstock, just sand it off and add a Fender water slide. That last part was a joke. Play what fits and welcome to TB!

Spidey2112 and dxb like this.
  13. Nebula24

Nebula24

Nov 23, 2017
    Norman, OK
    Play different basses to find the neck you like. Check reviews here. Buy one with ok return policy. After good week of playing go try other basses again to see if still like your choice (can be repeated frequently..i still do)

I restarted a year ago after finding out i love shorties and thin necks. When i sort of played years ago local store selection was limited and didnt know of all the variety of basses out there.

Picked up a cheap eb0 that i love and play it daily. Traded out my old bass that just sat in my closet for years.

14. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Primary difference at this stage in necks comes down to this; jazz width is 1 1/2", Precision bass width is 1 5/8 or 1 3/4". You need to find out which one fits you better and feels more comfortable. I personally prefer the P bass width but also play a fretless bass that is 1 1/2" and I've adapted to it.

15. bordinco90

bordinco90 Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I would recommend either getting a New Squier bass or a Used Fender Made in Mexico bass. I've owned a few Squier P and J basses and I really liked them. The Vintage Modified Jazz basses are probably the nicest out of the current line of Squier basses IMO. If you get a chance I would play them and see which is best for you. Sweetwater.com has some good deals on Squier basses.

16. Welcome to TB. As many others here have suggested, try as many basses in person as you can. There may be a model that you aren't aware of that'd be perfect for you. You'll never know if you don't play it. If you do decide to buy online, make sure the return policy won't come back to haunt you. No advice on Squiers. Have a great night.

Spidey2112, matty1039 and dbsfgyd1 like this.
  17. twinjet

twinjet GE90-equipped Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Soundgear/Ibanez. Great bang for your buck.

pcake, Spidey2112, dxb and 1 other person like this.
  18. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    do you have a background in any other musical instument? Most people are suggesting a squier, but say, if youve been playing tuba , trombone, or whatever else for the last 20 years, there are other suggestions that you might feel confortable with.

19. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    For a slimmer (narrower) neck than was on your old P, get a Jazz. The Jazz neck may also be less beefy than your old P’s neck (depending on the neck carve on your old bass).

For a much slimmer neck, get an Ibanez. Ibanez also gives just a different all around vibe than a Fender, which you may or may not like.

For just everything a bit smaller and closer together (more "manageable", less fatiguing, imo), get a short scale like, for example, a Mustang PJ

Happy hunting!

20. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    Budget? Commitment?