1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to start with Fela Kuti?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tupac, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Go.

2. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    Man, there's so much good music in Kuti's catalogue. The '69 Los Angeles Sessions is a good place to start. I also really dig Live! (1971). I haven't listened to much in the last couple of years, but those stick out. Enjoy and thanks for the nudge; I'm gonna listen to some major Kuti this week!

3. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Expensive Sh*t and Music Of Many Colors (with Roy Ayers) are both classic albums

4. spazman

spazman

Sep 29, 2013
    Can't go wrong with Fela. I have a picture of him smoking a 10 inch joint on stage.

5. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Sharing is caring. :)

6. Midfour

Midfour

Aug 26, 2010
    Reused joke I originally made on twitter a while back: "Fela Kuti: funk Wagner. Great moments, dull quarter hours".

Also check out Robert Christgau's typically great CG page on him and see what looks appealing http://www.robertchristgau.com/get_artist2.php?id=455

7. ifallalot

ifallalot

Nov 2, 2013
    Carlsbad, CA
    Fela is so good.

8. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
  9. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    zombie, water, african woman, and chk psycho on da bus by tony allen, fela's drummer

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    anything Fela!!!:)

BTW,... Tupac, who keeps turning you on to all of these ol' school legends?!!

11. For wicked groove, the more common ones to check out are Water No Get Enemy, Gentleman, Shakara, Overtake Don Overtake Overtake, Coffin for Head of State, Army Arrangement, Teacher Don't teach me nonsense, Sorrow tears and Blood, and Beasts of No Nation.
    Also you must check out his son, Femi Kuti's stuff, especially Wonder, Dem Bobo, and Sorry Sorry. The bass player Joseph Darlington is sick on the Africa Shrine concert album, venue happens to be near my house in Nigeria :) Enjoy!

12. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Roforofofight!

Wasn't there also a soundtrack album for the Fela musical? That would be a good quick introduction. I saw that musical and really liked that band.

I had the chance to meet Fela Kuti for an interview a long time ago. He was really funny and charming and indeed did now how to share ;).

If you like Fela, you should also check out the "Africafunk: the orginal sound of 1970's funky Africa". All african bands that were inspired by James Brown.

13. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Are you predisposed to enjoy long tracks? If not, go for the The '69 Los Angles Sessions. The tracks are shorter than much of his later work.

My personal favorites are Coffin for Head of State/Unknown Soldier, Expensive ****/Water No Get Enemy, but really you can't go wrong with anything in his catalog.

14. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Mulatu Astatke is on that comp, and is one of my favorites.

15. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    My favourite Fela track is "Let's Start" (with Ginger Baker) on drums. I have to agree with the "great moments, dull quarter hours" quote. I can listen to Fela for relatively short bursts but I get bored quickly by a lot of his stuff. You might enjoy the album Red Hot And Riot...

16. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I once spent two days on a boat traveling up the Mekong in forests of Northern Laos listening to Fela on my iPod. That's when those half hour songs finally made sense to me

17. Thanks for turning me on to this.
    Listening to this track right now:

18. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    It started with Flea, and I have since been retracing the family tree of groove. Good of you for noticing :)

19. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    You might also dig some of Manu Dibango's stuff. Here are a few examples from the early-to-mid '70s:

- "Soul Makossa":

20. halfjackson

halfjackson

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston, MA
    My friend (he's a drummer for what's it's worth) hipped me to Antibalas and I've been really digging the grooves. So far I've listened to Who is This America? (2004), and Security (2007). Check 'em out.