1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where to test drive warwicks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kdjord, Apr 28, 2010.

1. kdjord

kdjord

Apr 29, 2006
    Alright fellas, I am graduating from college in one week! And my graduation gift is a new bass. I've been playing for 4 years. Started out as a 6-stringer, now I reside on bass almost exclusively. Just recorded an album (with my ibanez 505 unfortunately).

I *think* I want a Wick based on the tones I have heard in various recordings and the sight of one seems to jive with what I'm looking for.

The problem is, where the hell do you find these things to try them out? The local guitar centers (I don't buy from them anymore anyway) only have some korean corvettes.

I would prefer to play a wide selection of warwicks to get a feel for what works for me.

Unfortunately, it seems that may not be possible.

What should I do? Is their quality high enough that I could order one online and send it back if it doesn't knock my socks off?

Personally, I like the tones coming from the corvette zebrano $$, corvette $$, streamer $$, maybe thumb BO (worried about ergonomics. I'm 6'5")

I'm also looking into lakland 55-94s, but they seem to be carbon copy industrial basses. Necks feel damn good to me from what I remember, however.

Any ideas?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    You ask where to look for a bass, and don't tell us where you are?

3. your best bet is a guitar center

4. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Yeah, what college are you graduating from? :eek:

Just go to their website and do a dealer search.

5. if you're in NY I believe Warwick has a showroom - never been, but always wanted to go . . . I see the address in their ads in BP

6. Time Consumer

Time Consumer

Jan 27, 2008
    Joliet Ill.
    Just about to say that, a warwick is def one of the easier basses to try before u buy, unless you ironically have no gc's near you, I have 3 to choose from, lol.

7. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I moved from an SR505 to Warwick and have not regretted it for one second. As for the Thumb ergonomics, I'm 6'2" and think that my Thumb NT5 is one of the most comfortable basses I've ever laid hands on. Nothing to offer on trying them out - the Guitar Centers around me don't carry squat anymore.

8. itsalljustaride

itsalljustaride

Sep 23, 2009
    You want a Warwick, that much is for sure ;)

Personally I'd go with a thumb or streamer, for the concave ergonomic body shape. Whenever I play a 'Vette now I feel like I'm playing a butcher block, because I'm used to my Thumb's body shape. So then the decision is Streamer $$ or Thumb, two basses that have pretty different characteristics, so it's about which type of sound you want.

9. DONZI97

DONZI97

Dec 24, 2008
    Algonac Michigan
    I am in the same boat, been wanting to try a streamer, but between the two GC's i visited today, i found one 5 string corvette. I want to try a streamer specifically because i think its interesting that Inez from AIC rocks one out, and Zender from Jamiroqui played one, 2 great but far different tones.

10. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I went through my "gotta have a Warwick" phase ever since I tried one out and couldn't remember which model it was. I tried out lots of them. And even though they have a signature sound, each model is different.

I got over that phase. But for you ... do a dealer search. What city, state are you in??

11. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    A/S/L?

:bag:

12. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    1/20/12?

13. 14/f/cali

got pics?

14. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Guitar center has them. At least they do here, but its a very limited selection

15. busta_bird

busta_bird

Mar 11, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    hahahahahahahaha. well played sir.

16. MaddAnthony_59

MaddAnthony_59 Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2006
    Columbus, IN
    I Channel Surf During Commercials. (Drives my Wife CRAZY!!!)
    Well, if you don't mind meeting with Strangers, hit CraigsList. I live between Indy, Cincinnatti, and LouisVille (Pronounced Lou-A-Ville!) For an Hours Drive I've been known to go "Test Drive" whatever for 20 minutes or so to see what some unfamiliar bass plays like. Usually the people I meet with are pretty cool, but there was a group of Mutant Bikers that were less than thrilled that I wasn't taking the Bass with me. I was Armed, but Alone...:help:

Anyways, that Might be one way.:smug:

17. Lowest End

Lowest End

Mar 20, 2010
    Mass
    Around Boston/NY they seem only to carry the Rockbass line now, which is too bad.

18. I snagged my $$ 5er from the Charleston GC last year.

If you ever end up coming towards Cola...I could let ya check it out as well as a Thumb BO 4. I wouldn't have a great loud rig to play it on at my home, just an old Ampeg Svt-III with a Hartke 2x10...but it would give you a decent approximation.

19. kdjord

kdjord

Apr 29, 2006
    Yup Charleston SC it is. I also spend sometime in Cleveland, OH. The only wicks I have seen at any GC's are corvettes. And they're usually suspicious-looking.

I guess what I'm wanting to know is where do you test drive high end warwicks...streamers, thumbs, etc?

I guess you don't. I might just order a streamer $$ online and hope it's a winner. If not, return it...

What is the difference tonally between a streamer and a thumb?

Would you guys recommend this strategy?