Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

where's the freakin action????

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Instigator, Dec 9, 2003.

1. Instigator

Instigator

Nov 5, 2003
    Canada man!
    my bass is a washburn xb-100 bantab series. i ahve no idea what year. i've been told that if i raise the action, it would improve my sound. i have however, no idea how to go about this. please advise.
    l8er daze

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The "action" is not a discrete part. It is the combination of the various adjustments such as bridge height, neck relief nut height etc.

If everything is in proper adjustment, raising the rollers on the bridge by turning the adjustment screws will raise the action.

If the strings aren't rattling and buzzing aginst the frets, you probably wont be very happy with a higher action. Most players strive to get the lowest action possible.

Without seeing the bass I'm not certain but it sounds as if you've been given some bad info.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"Action" as has been said is a combination of things - but it doesn't in itself, affect the sound at all.

Of course, if as Pkr2 says, your action is very low already then the strings may be buzzing and rattling against the frets so it may help clear this up.

But generally setup doesn't affect tone as such - it could allow you to play harder and really pull under the strings - which may or may not sound better to you. But it will be the way that you play the bass, that will change the sound - not the action itself.

If you raise the action, but play in exactly the same way as you did before, then it will sound no different.