1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which 4x10 for SWR350

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Devo39, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Devo39

Devo39

Jan 24, 2008
    Am going to finally get myself a good quality 4x10 to go with my SWR350, but which one?

I thought I'd just grab a GoliathIII 4 Ohm as I am thinking that it would be best to match the amp and cabs as they are made to go together. However, I see so many posts saying they are using mixed brands, I've also seen a lot of mention of using Eden 4x10XLT and what a great cab this is. What do you guys think?

I play a Stingray5, and am currently playing in a rock covers band so would like a bit of versatility, I also use a Sansamp Programmable bass driver.

2. Devo39

Devo39

Jan 24, 2008
    Also wondering if there are any drawbacks or concerns to think about when having only a 350W amp powering a 800W cab?

3. Devo39

Devo39

Jan 24, 2008
    Someone please please help, I'm hopeless with this sort of thing

4. BigWave

BigWave

Jan 12, 2004
    Salinas CA
    I have run my Bass 350 through a Berg. 322 and a Goliath III. The Berg. was great. More bottom than the SWR and more efficient.

5. I would try to find a 4 ohm Eden 410T (not the XLT).

6. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    If you can find one in good shape, a Goliath II, which is rear ported. Perfect cab for that amp

7. swbest3

swbest3

Feb 3, 2008
    Fort Worth, TX
    I would personally go with the Ampeg pro410hlf. They don't make them anymore but if you can find one, you can get it for around $500. They sound AMAZING oh and did I mention they're built like a tank?

8. pedroferreira

pedroferreira

Feb 10, 2003
    Portugal
    I would go with Aguilar GS410 4 ohm. Great cab, lots of punch and very round.
    I heard it with a SWR 350 and loved it.

Pedro

9. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Definitly get a 4-ohm cab, that's probably more important than the make of it!

350 + Goliath is a classic combo. Actually, an Avatar 4x10 would probably sound quite good. Likely not as loud, but maybe a bit smoother.

10. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have the same amp and run it with a 4 ohm Eden 410XLT and its fantastic. The cab is so efficient that this amp has more then enough power to shake the room without clipping. The growl of the XLT cab goes well with the smoothness of the Bass 350. Great combo, highly recommended!

11. play4zero

play4zero

Dec 29, 2005
    Edorsing Artist: Eden
    The Ampeg PR410HLF is not a good choice for a lower powered amp. 1. It is not very efficient. Many of them are wired in series meaning that if the first speaker in the series (which gets the most beating) craps out, your whole unit is dead. 3. Subjectively, I think they're too muddy.

The Goliath III is a good choice and fairly efficient. It's a more hi-fi sound than the Eden and obviously designed by the same folks who built your head.

The Eden is more efficient than either, and is designed to have a mid-range hump that will also help you cut through (if you don't gut you mids with your EQ). I own 3 Eden 410s and have owned the other two, so those are all I've had experience with.

Usually, your choice is determined by what's for sale in your area on the used market, so I would check on ebay for speakers that are for sale within a couple of hundred miles and get thebest deal I could on something I could pick up, or meet someone half way.

12. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    the 350 was my main amp for a while and every 4x10 i used it with (backlines and such) sounded great. only exception was a couple crappier peavey and hartke cabs from the 80's. honestly, i don't think you can go too wrong here. i will second the eden 410t (not xlt) recommendation. very good combination

13. Devo39

Devo39

Jan 24, 2008
    Thanks guys appreciate the input. I am going to try a Goliath III at a gig this week to see how it goes, it's about $600 NZ cheaper than the Eden so there is certainly a big benefit of going for the classic combo rather than the more boutique one.