Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wtf_is_a_bass, Oct 6, 2005.

1. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: PiGLET picks
    Im about to get my 2nd amp EVER which is sad. Anyway im confused between two amps which are same brand (behringer)
    and same price ($400 AUD). The problem is theyre both good in their own ways. Please help me decide!!!

The BX1200 is 120 watts. It has an passive and active input and features an aluminium cone speaker. The BXL1800 is 180 watts so obviously its alot more powerfull. However the speaker cone is paper and there is only one input (i play passive so it doesnt matter anyway). Other than these differences, they are practically the same amp.

http://www.behringer.ca/BX1200/index.cfm?lang=ENG
    http://www.behringer.ca/BXL1800/index.cfm?lang=ENG
    Those are the web pages ^

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What are you using right now? It might be worth it to just save for something better.

3. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Once you read what i play now, you wont agree...

I friend found my amp and is a total peice of junk It is a "Drive" (what? Drive?) branded amp. It is something around 20 watts. It sounds like a guitar amp (no punchy bass, mostly treble). Once you turn it up past 3, it distorts and sounds dodgy. Now do you stil think i should save the money?

BTW im in a band and i strugle to hear myself play... Sad...

4. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I would strongly recommend the following...

Ashton BA150... these can be had for somewhere around $500 new. I recently saw one on evilbay for $400 i think. It has been getting good reviews from some of the aussie mags like australian guitar player. good beginner's amp.

An old peaver 115combo like mine. Fantastic beginner's amp. they range from 130W to 300W rms, and if you look around they can be found second hand for around $300 - $400. Trust me, these old peavey's are great for beginner's and are practically bullet proof and the Black Widow drivers are loud as hell for the price.

ultimately you should try the amps before you buy any of them.

Good luck... :)

5. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Check this one out
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BASS-AMP-Pea...355303136QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Another one, but you will have to purchase a cab later...
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Carvin-ProBa...355996212QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This hartke is fairly cheap too; and hartke's seem to be quite popular with TB'ers (and Will Lee ofcourse)
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bass-Amplifi...356238444QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's an old fender amp that looks like a good beginner's amp, but maybe is a bit rusty...
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Fender-Bass-...354894329QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is probably the best one of the lot, a yorkville 100. MANY Tb'ers swear by yorkville... and its only $350
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Bass-Amp-Com...354937860QQcategoryZ10171QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

6. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Anything but Behringer. You can thank us later.

7. I must agree ras, peavey is the way to go in you position. I had really good luck with the mark III combo, and liked the tone, so I got the head and an 1810 that rig cost me $180, you cant touch something like the ability to play a show without monitors but everyone being able to FEEL your changes for $160. just my .02 . Also keep an eye on local classifieds or the ones here for that matter alot of good stuff for a very good price

8. PEAVEY!!!
    Firebass700 + a 410, that was my second amp, first one was a peavey guitar amp!

they are found pretty cheap, reliable (literally, built like tanks), and i think they sound pretty good for the price)

oh, and loud! (maybe a bit on the heavey side tho, but who cares!)

9. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks heaps guys! I'm going to check out some peaveys now! Can you just answer my question just in case i never find any of the amps you mentioned?

BX1200 or BXL1800?

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Seriously, after my guitarist's Berhinger amp crapping out after 3 weeks, I'd keep your Drive over either of the Berhingers. That said, if you must indulge in this sin of buying gear with a B on it (unless its Bergantino of course ;) ) do not get anything with aluminum speakers.

11. Having owned a Behringer combo before, I wouldn't buy one again.

But. If you decide to buy one of the above mentioned amps, I'd get the 1800 with the paper cone.

12. chrisb7601

chrisb7601

Aug 30, 2005
    ***- I played through a Behringer speaker cabinet with the aluminum cones and did not like them, very metallic and "bright" sounding. I would like to try their paper cones but can't find them here.

I would guess the 1200 will sound more metallic, and the 1800 more warm and smooth. So which sound do you like?

The only other considerations from looking at the spec sheets: 1200 has a speaker out jack, which makes it expandable -- you should get more volume by adding a speaker cab later. The 1800 did not mention speaker out.

Also the 1800 has a CD-in jack, if you would want to play music through the amp for practicing. Otherwise they seem about the same except for the wattage and cone type. They both have DI out and effects loops...

-Chris

13. wtf_is_a_bass

wtf_is_a_bass Guest

Aug 11, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Are behringers really that bad? Why? I also cant find a Peavey in my wattage needs or price range *help*

14. I had a behringer head xt3000 or what ever. It died in less than 2 weeks. I wasn't happy with it anyway. Sounded all hissy all the time. My 70's Crate CR-110 guitar amp sounded better. Diffidently the bright on the Crate vs. the behringer. The behringers ultra bass. Was for $4!t. Sub-sonic on my 5 string.

Always sounded out of tune on any string w/ the ultrabass rather than an octave lower. It was stupid between the bass guitar, bright, and ultrabass modes. It should have played 3 octaves like a synth bass. It just made one big @$$ noise.

15. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    So Why not an Ashdown MAG series head & cab?

16. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Check the ebay links i posted. one of them was a 160W peavey combo.

17. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    i own a behringer with the paper cones, and its alright, but of course, ive played much much better, but if you did have to choose form those two amps, id choose the 180 watt paper cone one. why not try another combo, like maybe a ashdown or a peavey.

-Jake

18. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah hold of as long as you can and get something cheap but strong second hand...

you will want to upgrade the behringer and you wont be able to sell it for much.

a strong 2nd hand amp will sell for what you paid for it. and sound better

19. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    This:http://www.music123.com/Alesis-Bassfire-60-i150434.music

[​IMG]

The Bassfire 60 from Alesis is the first bass amp to incorporate built in effects, amp modeling, 60 watts of power, true stereo output (via headphones or the stereo link output), a built in tuner, and a heavy duty 12" speaker. Add to this a sleek modern design for a great LOOKING amp, and you have a real winner!

Great amp for the price. Please don't go Behringer!

20. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If you absolutely must buy a behringer product then purchase the cheapest available. That way when it dies in a couple months you have wasted less money. In case you can't tell, I am not a fan of their reliability.