1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Ampeg PF cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GolderBass, Dec 29, 2018.

1. GolderBass

GolderBass

Dec 29, 2018
    Hi all,

After many years looking on talkbass and gaining valuable knowledge... I thought I'd join and ask my own question.

I've recently got back in to music after a few years out of the game. Unfortunately I sold my amps after I last played so am now in need.

I play an EB music Man Stingray and a MIM Fender P bass. The band I'm now in is a functions band, covering everything from 50's rock n roll and 60s classic rock to 70s funk and modern indie/rock.

I'm looking at getting the Ampeg PF-500 due to its volume, tone and portability, not to mention reasonable price.

As for speakers I'm looking at getting the Ampeg PF-210HE at first and then adding either another one, or the Ampeg PF-115HE.

My question really is should I get a second 210 or add the 115? Does one move more air than the other? I know 10s are usually more punchy than 15s, but would one of each compliment each other?

Thanks for your help guys,
    Steve

2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    The bigger part of TB Gurus will advise against mixing drivers.
    It's always a shot in the dark, sometimes you yield results you like and sometimes not.
    The 115 and 210 are a close match in terms of surface area, they roughly move the same amount of air, so you're clear of the mismatch a 410+115 combination has to suffer.

I'd pick a second 210, however. Adding a second, identical cab will increase your output by 6dB on paper. 3dB due to the doubling of watts on your PF500 and another 3 due to the doubling of the speaker surface. You will have the same sound, only a lot more of it.
    You can have one cab at place A and one at place B and have an identical sounding rig in both places and when you need the full power, you bring both.
    The combination of 210 and 115 gives you three possible combinations with three different voicings. This can be good or bad.

3. I've been working with a PF 500 head for a while now. Ran it with an 8 10 for a while and recently picked up a 2 12. I've kind of fallen in love with the 2 12. Great tone and plenty of volume for both of the bands I'm in. I prefer this set up over two cabs simply in the fact that I only have to move one cab. I had a mixed cab set up many years ago. It was what was available to me at the time and it worked well. Just a pain to move two cabs all the time. I picked up an 8 10 and was much happier with that than the two cab set up. As geezerdom approached me , my back began to complain about moving the 8 10 and that's when I got the 2 12.
    I've had 2 10 cabs in the past and they never quite cut it as far as volume for the bands I'm in. I always liked the additional head room the 8 10 afforded me and the 2 12 works just as well for what I'm doing these days.

4. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I'd go with the matching cabs. I've had some luck pairing unmatched cabs in my past, but there have been many more that didn't play well with each other. Getting matching cabs you don't have to worry about driving one ragged while the other is just getting minimal power, phase issues, or the compatability of the cabs actually stacking nicely.

In your case I'd definitely go with the extra 210 cab.

Helix likes this.
  5. Lovep

Lovep Supporting Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ampeg 212AV

6. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    I’d also recommend going with matched cabs, for consistency’s sake of anything, but I have the mixed pair with my PF-800 (the 15” is at home, the 210 at a friend’s place), and to my ears it sounds fine. The 210 has a lot of bottom and surprised me, when it was new, how much it sounded like the 15! Still does after being broken in too. It’s a handsome pair, regardless. Enjoy whichever way you go. EE89C40D-62D3-4FDB-B66B-6FF195577563.png

7. TinyE

TinyE

Jan 31, 2013
    portland,or
    Ampeg said they designed the pf cabs to intermix.

iagtrplyr likes this.
  8. pglaser01

pglaser01

Mar 19, 2013
    St. Louis, MO
    If only I were that good....
    Uh oh.....the storm will be here soon.....

9. basso_profundo

basso_profundo

Mar 12, 2012
    Denver, CO
    PF-210 and PF-115 owner here - they were designed to match and sound great together with a PF-800. I mixed them up to have options as single cabs.

iagtrplyr likes this.
  10. twinfallsbass

twinfallsbass Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2005
    Somewhere in AZ
    I have all the PF cabs exept the PF410. The PF 210 and 115’s sounded good together, so don’t let people get to you on that one. The one thing I will recomend is to get an HPF filter, the 210 has a tendancy to fart out at loud volumes, this pedal helps reduce the lowest of frequencies and you can get a lot more volume out of that cab. You should get an HPF even if you go with a difrent cab. There is an HPF thread here on TB

iagtrplyr likes this.
  11. GolderBass

GolderBass

Dec 29, 2018
    Guys, thank you all so much for your comments. I think I will keep an eye out for a good deal on another 210.

I also may have a look out for the hpf... Not something I'd heard of before!

iagtrplyr and Lovep like this.
  12. 12BitSlab

12BitSlab Gold Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Allow me to introduce you to @Stumbo He is The Expert regarding hpf’s

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

It's the 2010's, go with 12ers.