Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which bands did/are these playing in?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Phunky, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    Which bands did/are these playing in?

Bootsy Collins
    James Jamerson
    Chuck Rainey
    Alphonso Johnson

i'd like to check these out but i'm not familiar with the band??

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Bootsy Collins-
    Best known for playing with...
    James Brown
    P-Funk
    Solo career

James Jamerson-
    Best known as 'the guy who played bass for Motown'('60s-early '70s).
    Primarily a sessioneer, his band was "the Funk Brothers".
    Pick up Standing In The Shadows Of Motown(the book + 2 cds).

Chuck Rainey-
    Another guy in the mold of Jamerson...primary gig was sessions('60s-'70s & some '80s). Who hasn't Rainey recorded with?!
    Played with Aretha Franklin("Rock Steady", etc); was the bassist on Steely Dan's Katy Lied, The Royal Scam, Peg, & some cuts on Gaucho. Another nice record is the Roberta Flack/Donny Hathaway album with the hit "Where Is The Love"? The Quincy Jones' sessions, too("The Theme To The Anderson Tapes").
    Was also in a Fusion band called Dreams(with Billy Cobham & The Brecker Brothers).
    My favourite bassist from back in-the-day.

Alphonso Johnson-
    Best known for his stint in Weather Report(Mysterious Traveler, Tale Spinning, Black Market) ...left that gig in order to join The Cobham-Duke Band. Has a couple of '70s 'solo' albums out. Also was a member of Jazz Is Dead.
    "Bahama Mama" is one of his best-known tunes.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I can't believe you mised off "Aja" from Chuck Rainey's list - that's my favourite album where he plays - I love playing it in the car and hearing that great bass line come in, on Josie!! :)

4. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

Nicely done.... :hyper:

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Dammit; I put "Peg" when I meant Aja!
    Stoop.

6. Another can't-miss Rainey album is Robert Walter's "There Goes The Neighborhood"!!! Check out the song "The Tease"

7. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    Thanks alot! I never thought that Alphonso played in Weather report! what did jaco think of another bass player? i though he was the only one

8. Hey Phunky,

Weather Report had a few bassist. Alphonso was before Jaco and they both played on Weather Reports, Black Market. After Jaco it was Victor Bailey.

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Weather Report's Live & Unreleased has Alphonso, Jaco, & Bailey...not all playing at the same time, though. ;)

I can count at least 5 different Weather Report bassists.
    Miroslav Vitous(founding member with Shorter & Zawinul)
    Andrew White(Sweetnighter)
    Alphonso
    Jaco
    Victor Bailey

WR musta went though about 50 different drummers.

10. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    Oh thanks so much guys, i also dug up these guys, maybe someone cold tell me about them too?:

Nathaniel Phillips
    Bernard Edwards
    Paul Jackson
    Verdine White
    Helmut Hatler

this is the last one i promise, i'll save this information to notepad and so i'll never have to check again, thanks again ;)

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Nathaniel Phillips -Pleasure
    Bernard Edwards -Chic
    Paul Jackson -Headhunters
    Verdine White -Earth Wind & Fire
    Helmut Hatler -Guru Guru

12. Look into Alphonso Johnson and Victor Bailey........they often get overshadowed by Jaco , but both are amazing players.

13. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    Did`nt bootsy play in parliament funkadelic?

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The July Bass Player(Bootsy cover) has a brief but nice history of P-Funk bassdom...who played, what gear they played, when they played, & how they played.
    It appears Bootsy appeared more on the Parliament tracks(more horns & keys) vis-a-vis the Funkadelic tracks(more guitars, more Rock, & grit).
    Bootsy's Rubber Band often opened for P-Funk, too.

15. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yep....Bootsy also played for the Brides of Funkenstein and was a mentor of sorts to Digital Underground (The Humpty Dance, Sons of the P) and most currently for Freakbass (a Kustom GrooveBass 1200 endorser)

16. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Sweden
    **** i just spent $70 on CDs from these guys :p

17. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    ....and for all you Funkateers out there, George Clinton has started a new label and he's releasing a single/cd "How Late Do You Have to B B4 UR Late??"

Tour details are in the works

18. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Jim K covered this well. I will add that Alphonso also played with Santana for a while.

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I wish I had bought that Abraxas band(Santana reunion band with Alphonso) cd when I had the chance.
    Now it's OOP & pretty damn expensive!