1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which bass kit should I buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ZeBula, Dec 27, 2016.

1. ZeBula

ZeBula

Dec 27, 2016
    Portugal
    Hello fellows bassists!
    Im planning to start playing a bass and i found these affordable kits but I don't know which one is better to buy and to start rocking: Fender Squier Affinity P-Bass Set BB
    or Fender SQ Affinity P-Bass BK Bundle2
    Plus I have a question regarding the bass learning. Since I'm a leftie, I use my left hand for everything and I feel my right hand weak and not as fast as my left. Can I still learn how to play in a right hand bass? ​

Ross W. Lovell likes this.
  2. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Considering that I don't have any idea what a Harley Benton amp is like, I can't answer your first question. As far as the second question, it's always struck me as odd that the fretting hand is usually not your dominant hand when it comes to playing a stringed instrument. I don't know why. I have left handed friends who play violin, drums, and guitar right handed. There's no reason you can't learn to play right handed. It may or may not take longer. I really don't know. As a right handed person, I initially picked up a guitar as a kid and tried to play it left handed. Then somebody showed me some chords right handed and that was that. So, it depends on what you want to do.

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I think the problem you will have is dexterity, not strength. If you are a lefty, it's just naturally more dexterous to fret with your left hand. Learning is hard enough, stack the deck in your favor wherever you can. You can work around dominant hand, but why bother? Plenty of left handed basses out there these days. The Affinity is a decent starter bass, but the amps in those kits are usually pretty crappy. You don't need an amp right away, just a good headphone amp, preferably something with an aux in so you can play along to MP3's. There are a ton of choices for that, some that run through phone apps. I'd get a Squire VM or CV series lefty bass for around the same price as that kit, get a few chops on it, then invest in a decent amp later. The Fender Rumble combos are excellent, though you'd need at least a Rumble 200 to keep up with a loud drummer. Another brand to check out is Ibanez, the SR200 is a superb starter bass, and has a very thin, fast neck that's easy to play if you have small to average hands. The SR300 and 400 series are even better. Also the Sire basses are very well reviewed. Good luck, and have fun!

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Lots of left handers play right handed (including yours truly). Before you plunk down the money, go into a store and try them out, and see which was feels more comfortable. Always made sense to me to play right handed - my strong hand is my left hand, which does all the fretting. But see which feels good to YOU.

As to instruments, if there are used music stores or pawn shops out where you are, hit them up. Not likely to find a left handed bass, but assuming you are playing right handed, I've seen Squiers going used, in decent shape for $99 all day long. You also may find a used amp.

5. mp40smg

mp40smg

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    removed.. comment.

My suggestion would be to buy either one of them that is more appealing to you.

But, I would suggest spending a bit more on just the bass (or get the bass only) at a place that will have it all set up. You can always get a cheap amp later.

And then lessons.

and if you are lefty, you may just want to find a lefty bass.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    DrummerwStrings and Gilmourisgod like this.
  6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    This. All of this.

Lefty who plays righty here.
    And your money will go much further used.

And Welcome to TalkBass @ZeBula !!!

DrummerwStrings, matty1039 and ZeBula like this.
  7. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    They look pretty similar, I don't think there will be any significant difference between them. If there's one available in a color you prefer get that one. If that's not an issue I'd say save £20 and get the slightly cheaper one.

This is a topic where I think it might be hard to find someone with relevant experience to tell you differences about different products. I think someone getting a starter kit probably only ever gets one, so most people aren't going to be able to say "this brand's starter kit is better than that brand's" or "between these two from the same company, this one is nicer."

What I can say from my own experience, when I was 15 and my mom bought me a starter kit, the cheap little amp sounded pretty nice, but only lasted about a year before it stopped turning on. The tuner it came with still works, even after having a battery leak in it. The cable it came with lasted about a year and a half or two years, but it was really short. I'm pretty sure I've still got the strap somewhere, but I recall the button eyes tearing and I had to sew them up at one point. The bass I still have, it sounds good and plays well. I wouldn't gig with it, but it still good to have around to practice with.

I don't think you're going to go wrong with a starter kit from a major brand. And, as long as you have reasonable expectations I think you'll be happy with whichever you get. The bass should be okay, everything else is meant to get you started and not to be super robust. It should all last long enough to give you an idea of whether or not you like playing bass, and then you'll be to the point where you're either not playing any more or you're investing in better gear.

As for whether to play right handed or left handed, I'd say start out right handed, because if you learn to play that way you'll be able to pick up just about any bass in any store and play it. But, you might find you don't like playing right handed, and if that's the case you can always switch later. It will be easier to switch to your dominant hand if you're unsatisfied than it will be to switch from it if you don't like playing left handed.

madmanmerc, JGbassman and kodiakblair like this.
  8. ZeBula

ZeBula

Dec 27, 2016
    Portugal
    Guys I don't have any music store near me, So i can't try it. Only in a friends bass (righty).
    Keep answering regarding the first question :)

U guys rock x)

9. Olá @ZeBula

Welcome to Talkbass. I'd be inclined to go for the P-bass set BB,only because it has the Fender Rumble amp.
    Nothing wrong with the Harley Benton amp as Lasse Thernoe,the Dane who selects what products bear the
    Harley Benton logo knows his job.

The good thing is Thomann have a really good return service so if you find playing right handed is not for you
    then you can send it back or exchange it for a left hand model. I owned the right hand version of this and found
    it to be a good bass albeit on the heavy side.

Harley Benton JB-75LH NA Vintage Series

For some stupid reason they don't offer the left hand model as part of the 240 euro set. A call or email to Thomann
    explaining your needs should fix that.

10. ZeBula

ZeBula

Dec 27, 2016
    Portugal
    I sent an email to thormann regarding if they can exchange it for a left handed bass. I'm waiting for their reply x)

11. @ZeBula

It's 12.5 hours before Thomann open for business but I hope they reply soon.

A friend of mines lives in Granja,Porto. Will I ask him if he knows where you could try a left hand bass.
    I'm aware you may live many miles from Porto but at least it's closer.

12. ZeBula

ZeBula

Dec 27, 2016
    Portugal
    Don't ask,its ok x)

About the specs, the BB set bass specs and the other set bass, are like the same right? or the Fender Squier Affinity P-Bass PJ BK it's better?

13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I'm going to eat my words, I hadn't noticed the "BK Bundle 2" kit comes with a Rumble 15, that's a great little amp, and already has an aux in and headphone out. The Rumble 15 is about perfect as a practice amp, or even a small church or coffee house acoustic gig. If you get serious later on, check out a Rumble 200 or 500. The Affinity basses are a little hit or miss on QC, buts it's a good bet. You may have to do some setup work, tons of advice free on TB for that. If you can get them to swap for a lefty, I'd jump on it.

14. They're all about the same but I'd go for the PJ after looking closer at the set. The gigbag,strap,cable and tuner will all be
    better quality. And you get an Alder body,I found Agathis too light to feel comfortable with.

It's a trade off against getting the Fender Rumble and saving 20 euro:)

If you'd like to hear folks opinions on Thomann's own brand the HBs this thread will give you plenty of info.

I own a Harley Benton club

15. ZeBula

ZeBula

Dec 27, 2016
    Portugal
    the BK bundle 2 comes with an Harley Benton HB-40B amp mate. Should I go for it anyways?

16. ZeBula

ZeBula

Dec 27, 2016
    Portugal
    So you would go for the Fender SQ Affinity P-Bass BK Bundle2 right?

17. Ever seen a left-hand piano? Left-hand sax? Left-hand cello? No. These, like bass, are two-handed instruments, and can be played by people of either handedness.

Don't set yourself up for a lifetime of equipment frustration - learn to play the arbitrarily agreed upon correct way.

Gopherbassist likes this.
  18. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Another lefty who plays righty here. I think that it is an advantage as your left hand is more dexterous and better suited for complex fingering as you get more advanced. My son is a cellist who plays right-handed (he's also a lefty).

As to the package, I'd go with the first one - nothing like a P-bass to learn on. And i think that the Fender amp will serve you well - as you get more advanced and want something for gigs, you can still use it as in in-home practice amp.

19. As much as I prefer a plain P-bass to a PJ but yes I'd go for the BK Bundle 2.

Personally this would be my shipping list
    Bass Harley Benton JB-75LH NA Vintage Series
    Amp Fender Rumble 15
    Strap Harley Benton Guitar Strap Padded Brown
    Gigbag Thomann E-Bass Gigbag Deluxe
    Tuner Korg GA-1
    Cable pro snake TPI-A 6

To take the total up to the 320 euro for the Squier P-bass I'd add

Stand Millenium GS-2000
    Preamp Behringer V-Tone Bass BDI21

Remember this is just my opinion but given that budget these would be what I'd choose.