1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which Basses Have You Checked Out Lately?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Aug 20, 2007.

1. This past Saturday afternoon, I went to my local Sam Ash to see if they had a Boss ME-20 guitar pedal. (sorry :p )

They didn't have it in stock, but while I was there, I figured I'd try out whatever looked interesting. I only played each bass for about 5 minutes, but here's my report:

G&L L-2500 - I finally played a G&L!!! Now, I see what everyone's been talking about!
    It was used, but in excellent shape - blue with a maple fingerboard. Man, what tones you can get from one of these!
    Very convincing P-Bass and J-Bass tones, plus a ton of other, more modern, more aggressive-sounding tones too. Very good B string.
    I am very impressed with G&L. :cool:

They were asking $1,099.00 for the G&L.

Fender Jazz 24 Quilt Top - I was also very impressed with this bass. Just a very comfortable Jass bass with very nice-sounding pickups. Typical Jazz Bass tones. Liked the sound of the electronics. Killer looks, and only $699.99! I was very tempted to take this one home, and am still thinking about it. I liked this one as soon as I picked it up. :bassist: www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-QuiltTop-Jazz-Bass-24?sku=515038

Fender Mike Dirnt P-Bass - I wasn't really that impressed with this one. The set up wasn't the best, so that had a little to do with it, but the one I played just didn't have any mojo. Vintage white. www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Mike-Dirnt-Precision-Bass?sku=511533

Ibanez ATK - I liked this one a lot. P-bass kind of feel while you hold it. Tones ranged from almost P-Bass to almost Stingray, but with its own twist. Overall a very nice instrument for $499.99. Black. They also had one with the Blue Moon finish, but it was $200 more. www.ibanez.com/bass/series.aspx?s=atk

Squier Vintage Telecaster Bass - This one took me by surprise. When did they start making these?
    When I first saw it hanging on the wall, I couldn't see the price tag, and thought it was an old Fender Tele Bass, but suspected that something was wrong because it was in excellent shape and hanging right next to the regular basses. P-bass kind of feel, with a very deep, but clean neck humbucker tone. Think Gibson EB-O, but less muddy. Only $279.99 This would probably be good for Heavy Metal, Latin and Reggae. www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Vintage-Modified-TB-Precision-Bass?sku=519758

And my favorite: A brand new Ibanez BTB1205E.
    I bought one of these at the beginning of 2006 and absolutely love it. I won't ramble on here about what a nice instrument it is; you can go to the Ibanez Club thread for that, but I will say it felt and sounded as good as mine does. The quality control on these seems to be very high, and very consistent.
    www.ibanez.com/bass/series.aspx?s=btb_prestige

So, what basses have you checked out lately?

Reports, please. :)

Mike ;)

2. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    I played a Stingray for the first time and absolutely loved it.
    I loved it so much I'm now saving up for for either a stingay or a bongo.

3. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Checked out a used Sukop 6 at Brian's shop when I was up there to pick up my Benavente..

[​IMG]

Nice bass!!! Body is contoured (like a Spector) and it's very comfortable to play!! IMO, this bass is an absolute STEAL for what Brian's asking for it!!!

4. OH, MAN! THAT'S GORGEOUS!!! :eek: :bassist:

Mike :cool:

5. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Last basses I checked out were at the latest Nashville GTG.

...I need to get out more.

6. I hear you, Brendan.

I've been to music stores a few times this year, but haven't checked anything out since the holidays last year.

Mike

7. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Sheesh, Brendan wasn't that like 6+ months ago?

8. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Lately:

Warwick SSII 5er:

Very dry, almost thin tone-not necessarily my thing, but a very cutting, clear bass, bordering on harsh. Great feel and nice B-string, though, with beautiful construction. If I owned it, I'd be swapping the electronics, though.

Warwick Corvette $$:

Again, great feel and playability, but with a much thicker, more aggressive tone than the SSII. Tonally, the Streamer's more of a scalpel-this thing's a battleaxe. Still capable of some more articulate sounds with the coils split.

Ken Smith BSR bolt-on of some variety:

Very smooth, immediate, "singing" tone-would be great for solo bass work, but would probably sound awesome in a mix, too. Awesome playability, and built very nicely as well. I liked the pickups and pre on this bass-they really complement the nature of the instrument.

MM Bongo 5-great playability and construction. Same tonal issues that made me sell mine-that is, a somewhat artificial and "processed" tone that sounded quite unremarkable next to the Smith.

Alembic Epic 4:

A nice-sounding bass, but it was hard to evaluate accurately due to abuse by a previous owner-the jack was bad, and there was a short in the pickup pan knob, but the typical Alembic tone still shone through-clear and smooth, with plenty of attack/articulation. It didn't sound as good as the Alembics I've played with filters, but it was still quite nice.

'64 Gibson Thunderbird:

I'd sell my firstborn for it. Incredible in every way.

Fender P-Elite I:

Awful. Noisy, thin, and just nasty overall in the tone department.

9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yep.

It really doesn't matter, these days. I know what I'm after, and I know what I can spend. The two rarely coincide, and when they do...well, I already know what I'm after, so I don't really need to go looking, now do I?

10. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    Never hurts to test the waters though :D

11. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    i just bought a yamaha trb 1005 the other day....beautiful bass....quilted maple top, natural finish, rosewood board, abolone oval inlays, black hardware. Gc had it on clearance for 499 from 799...a list price of 1299, and it has been my favorite bass they have had in stock over the course of the last year, so i had to take it home...i mgiht toss some nordstrand fatstacks in it and get an ebony ramp to put between the pickups.

12. 82Daion

82Daion

Nov 14, 2006
    Rickenbacker 4003:

It's a Rick. I liked it. Enough said.

Lakland Skyline Hollowbody with Dark Stars:

Amazingly thick and woody, with a very even tone-every frequency is pretty well represented, and the bite of the Dark Stars goes very well with the warmth of the hollow body. I loved the way it played, and it actually had a pretty killer slap tone, too.:eek: Overall, a very fun bass.

13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That only happens when I have money. Otherwise, it's just spank bank material, but even more worthless, because basses don't do anything for me, personally.

14. Look ItSPencer

Look ItSPencer

Aug 19, 2007
    Rodinia
    Im really into the Schecter ultra bass, any comments about it?

15. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    None. GAS and new purchase free for about 3 months, with the exception of a driver for my rig.

16. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    I was at Willie's the other day.
    I'll do my best to remember everything (it was all through an iAmp800 into some EA cab, by the way):
    1966 Fender Mustang: It had a ridiculously fast neck and that diesel-engine P-bass tone that kciks you in the gut through an SVT. I liked it.
    1978 Alembic Series II: I hated it. Honestly. It was really heavy and I found the tone to be boring and all of the knobs to be confuzzling.
    Hofner 500/1 50th Anniversary: I dug what it was for what it was, but it wasn't to my taste. The tone is (as you may expect) the Paul tone and that's what it does well. Maybe all it does, period.
    1986 Ric 4003: I liked it (I do love Rics), but the frets were a bit high and that hindered the playing a bit for me.
    Fretless (converted) old Ric 4001: My favorite thing I played the whole day. It was gruff and clanky and wonderful sounding.

17. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

I finally made it down to the Atlanta Bass Gallery's new location on Saturday. First of all, the space is awesome. Way bigger than the old location, and Jim has done a great job setting it up. Second of all, it took me about 10 seconds in the store to realize why I don't visit more often! I'm not interested in most of the basses there because they have more than four strings, but like the old saying goes, all it takes is one. I played three:
    Dingwall Super PJ. Absolutely phenomenal in every way. A great neck plus a perfect set-up is always a winning combination. The instrument was light.. I'm guessing around 8 pounds. The fit and finish were as good as any I've seen. The sunburst looked great. The fanned frets make a lot of sense. The bass was perfectly in tune from top to bottom. Double stops up high rang out with amazing clarity, and the lows were earthshaking, especially that low D with the Hipshot. Every pickup setting sounded great, especially the P pickup soloed. I played it through some Epifani gear, which didn't help my G.A.S. for this bass! This was the first time in a long time I've asked a salesperson, "How much for this one?" The answer was well out of my price range, as I expected for a bass of this caliber. I'd give it a 10 1/2 out of 10. Is it worth selling two of my Reverends and a kidney to get this bass? Not quite, but close.
    Here she is in all her glory: http://www.atlantabassgallery.com/bass_images/DSC01603.JPG
    Dingwall Super J. It had a tough act to follow, and it didn't quite measure up. Sounded considerably smaller than than the PJ. The neck felt a little bit chunkier.. very subtle, but enough to notice. I didn't like the maple fretboard as much as the morado fretboard on the PJ. The Super J looked cool in white/tort, but I played it plugged in for about 30 seconds, as opposed to 10 minutes or so on the PJ.
    Here's a pic of the Super J: http://www.atlantabassgallery.com/bass_images/DSC01607.JPG
    Roscoe LG3000. Very nice bass. Another great looker in tobacco sunburst. The small body took a couple of minutes to get used to, but the neck played beautifully and the tone was beefy. I don't think there are a whole lot of 4-string Roscoes out there, so it was cool to play this one.
    Pic: http://www.atlantabassgallery.com/bass_images/DSC01398.JPG
    All in all, it was an excellent experience. If you're ever in Atlanta and have a little time to spare, the Bass Gallery is a must!

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Alleva Coppolo 5-string. One of the lightest Jazz basses I ever played. Great action, great vintage Fender sound. Horrible price tag.

19. Dave, Dave, why do you torture me? :bawl:

Seriously, your description, plus that photo are almost irresistible to me! :bassist:

That looks so good, and it's in my favorite finish: sunburst, tort guard and dark fingerboard! :cool:

Mike ;)

20. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio
    I have been looking long and hard at some Modulus VJ's. Particularly one with a bubinga top.
    VJBubinga.