Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which boutique shall I get?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbone0813, Oct 6, 2005.

1. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    Let's get some opinions on boutique basses. I am very close to purchasing one, and I thought I would get some opinions on which ones you think are worthy to be called boutique? My budget allows for around $3300. With this said the MTD 535 is in the lead at the moment (probably only because I haven't looked for many more than that). So which one would you buy? :bassist:

p.s. Remember....This isn't an argument as to the validity of buying a boutique over a non-boutique. I am buying a boutique. I just need some opinion from owners/players as to what ones they like the best. Thanks.

Oh yea! My style is mostly Praise & Worship, but I am getting in to jazz, and am liking the slapping & popping. :)

2. are you trying to get people to decide which bass is right for you, or just give thier general opinions of various boutique basses so you can have some options?

im not sure where grand prarie texas is but theres a guy in dallas (lewisville to be exact) named Pete Skjold that you should check out. his website is www.skjolddesign.com but i would for the most part ignore it has it has nothing about his John East designed preamp and SKold-spec mystery pickups. they're... delicious :D . do a search on the forum and you'll find more updated information.

and im sure Tombolus could do a great comparision of the MTD to a Skold, as he has both. as its boutique, you have so much control over the sound i dont know how much help it would be to have those sort of reviews, but every bass maker sort of has his stigma

3. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    F Bass, Roscoe, Modulus. At that price range, you have a LOT of options.

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Dingwall, F Bass, Benavente, MTD, Pedulla. In that order.

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I dont use them anymore but I think an MTD is a great choice. Very versatile

Rob

6. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    here's an opinion: that whatever you buy
    for over 1,500.00, should be neck-through, or at least have the option.
    for me personally, i believe neck-through/set neck to be a higher
    quality level in instrument building (and sound,but that's subjective) especially when getting beyond pure functionality and going for art. seems the current trend is bolt-on,
    but think a nice sexy smith neck heel, then think about a ritter bolt-on heel.
    imo, the smith takes it hands-down. and that's what makes a boutique
    instrument to me. imo, ime, add nauseam.
    d

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I disagree. Plenty of smokin' bolt on basses that are over $1500. Has nothing to do with level of craftmanship. Has everything to do with the philosophy of the builder.

Rob

8. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup. The bolt on v. neck through debate doesn't really apply...it's a tonal/aethetic choice and I can't see that it has any signification for overall build quality. Besides, I'd rather a bolt on in case a neck issue does develop in the long run, and that could happen just as easily with a 12K Alembic as a 2K Sadowsky or a 3K MTD.

9. Scissor Man

Scissor Man

May 7, 2005
    I'd say get a Jerzy Drozd, or a Roscoe with a bunch of options.

10. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Man....3300? That's a thing of beauty!
    My pick? Nordstrand, Eshenbaugh, Benavente, Elrick, Stambaugh, Cliff Bordwell, Jacob Marchliewski (sp?), JP Basses, etc.
    There's a million choices. If I were you, I'd invest 250 of that to fly down to Florida and visit Bass Central...that way, you can actually play many of the basses that you'd consider for purchase....

11. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

In order:
    Ken Lawrence
    MTD

Dan K.

12. mattwells

mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    GA
    I have played alot of high-end basses. My fav was an Alembic Series II (and I never began to scratch the surface of its tonal possibilities). You could probably pick one up used for that price. I have a Marchlewski on order that was very reasonably priced (I got a six string with ALOT of options and with your budget I could still buy one of the used Aguilar DB750's that have been popping up lately). Check him out www.marchlewskiguitars.com . With your budget, I would also check out Darrin Huff if you dig on his style, they are amazingly well made. www.dhuffguitars.com

It is all up to you in the end, no one else has your tonal taste.

Matt

13. Niskamies

Niskamies

Jan 13, 2004
    What kind of sound are you looking for? Are you looking for an excellent basic bass, or are you looking for a boutique hi-fi tone? Anyway, I recommend you to check out Sadowskys. My MS5 smokes.

Then definitely check out Sadowskys! IMHO the best slap tone that I've heard on a bass. They are very versatile basses.

14. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
  15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

In that case I recommend MTD. Fantastic bass, and it happens to be very popular with praise/worship players.

16. unity bass

unity bass

Dec 15, 2003
    Modesto, Ca.
    tbone,
    commissioning a custom is a great experience. You're going to have fun but you're gonna hate the wait. (don't let that stop you!)
    I'm wondering, what special features are you looking for that have led you into the boutique market? For example, is it exotic woods and electronics or handmade quality; do you want the little things like a bone nut and wood knobs or are you looking for something with a specific sound? These things vary from one builder to another. Some builders add $100.00 for an ebony fingerboard some make it a standard option. Head stock overlay, wood pick up covers, multi laminate neck, etc....These preferences will help us to recommend a builder.

Of course, my two cents is get a Stambaugh! There are tons of killer builders out there and I think Chris is right up there with the best of them. Plus his prices are great and he was great to work with. Do a search here then give him a call. Tell him what you're looking for. You'll be suprised by how many of his options do not raise the price.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Chad

P.S. you were born two days before me! I'm 8-15-71 :)

17. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    USA Spectors, Pedulla, Dingwall, Mike Lull... as others have said, at that price-point it's much more about finding the bass that suits you as a player the best, not about the "name" factor or bling... unless you desire the bling (which, if you're spending over 3K, is absolutely your right to going crazy SIMs-style ;) )

Hell, you could get two tricked-out Carvins at that level if that is what would work for you. You didn't say much about what you're looking for beyond that you play P&W, so it wouldn't do much good to recommend a Mike Lull Modern 5 if you're not a fan of the prototypical modern J-bass sound. However, based only on the P&W mention a MTD, Roscoe, or old-school Tobias would certainly work in that situation.

18. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    D'Huff basses should be considered...

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Buy 4 or 5 good used Fenders ;)