Which direction should I go?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Seth, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Seth

Aug 24, 2004
    Hey everyone, Ive been playing bass for a little over a year now. I cant read music though. And Ive never takin lessons but Ive learned from other people and taught myself so I know just a little. But I do play pretty well. The only thing is: I want to learn but I dont know what. What should I go into? I know you can learn and practice different techniques, Theory, to read music (which Im having trouble with), but whats a good place to take all my jumbled up knowledge that has to do with the bass and put it together. Basicly a good introduction to theory, in order. You know what I mean? I dont want to keep learning things in a disorderly fashion. Any links or books names given will be appreciated much. Later

2. Seth

Aug 24, 2004
    Well thanks for the link. Im sorry I missed it before. And I agree that a teacher is best. But i can get lessons for the fact that I just bought a new car so my time is spent at work and my money is spent on my car. But I appreciate the link.
  3. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Teacher, even if it is once a month or every few months.

What type of music do you like to play?

Things you should have under your belt.

1. Basic theory.
    2. Scales (Maj, Min, Dim, Alt, ect...)
    3. Being able to read Bass clef fluently. Maybe add in some sight reading.
    4. Rhythm and time keeping. You should be able to keep time better than anyone else.

These to me are 4 very bassic things that are valuable in all playing situations and music.
  4. Seth

Aug 24, 2004
    "What type of music do you like to play?"

I play anything, My favorite thing to play is anything like Funk, I know a walking Jazz line thats fun to play, a little Rock and I try to play the music I listen to which is Old Rap... But I must admit since I got my bass Ive started to listen to anything.

Right now Im working on your number 1 and thats Basic theory, along with Scales (but just the Major, Minor, Pentatonic and Blues).

And I do have a 20 buck metronome I got but havent used much. But I guess until I have a teacher I could work on my timing.

P.S. I did play for my Church for a little while. But that was just 5th notes.