1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

which head is this

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boamedt, Apr 8, 2009.

1. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    hey so this time i found a trace elliot gp7 head. but the seller doenst know the power ratings. i cant tell which head this is. can some one identify this and how many watts it has. heres some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. It's hard to say, could you post a shot of the right side of the back of the head? They didn't bother with power ratings in the serial numbers back in those days.

The model number "7215" was a number for a later, gibson era 1x15 300w combo.

It's most likely 150w or 300w but I couldn't say which. (all the bigger power ratings I've seen had the GP11 or GP12 graphic)

Nice head though!

3. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
  4. The black rat fur does look suspicious but Trace did use it in the change from tolex to green carpet, but this definately isn't a 7215 rehouse job, because that combo wasn't released until way, way after series 6.

but it still looks like a nice head you've got there.

5. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    here ya go:
    amqnf5.

6. I gotta say, I really am stumped. I've never, ever seen a ground lift switch (the one next to the on off switch) on a Trace before, and I've seen quite a few Traces. :smug:

Anyway, if the price is right go for it; Trace Elliot always were liberal with their watts anyway (I gig regularly with a 1x15 150w Trace combo, and have never been able to really crank it up because it's so loud!)

So, all in all it isn't going to be less than 150w, and IME that's plenty. :)

Good luck!

7. Xechs

Xechs

Mar 16, 2009
    Northern VA
    *Edit*

I need to read the above posts more, from searching it looks like a 300W out of a combo as stated above, but the pics of 7215s off google look different so it may be an earlier model.

Found this in another thread here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7151745:

"I've just aquired a beaten up old GP7 head from what i think was the combo 7215-7 300watt bass combo

Having looked inside it seems to be a popped fuse, but a friend's looking at it for me just to get it in good working order. there's a date on a PCB inside that states 06-05-99 which makes it nearly 10 years old, and also means i can throw it a birthday party

It outputs 300watts at 4ohms, so my plan is to build a nice wide 2x12 combo, and leave a space to get myself a green rackmount light for it, just to keep it trace-like. and then build an equally wide 15 to sit under it and pull it down to 4 ohms, meaning i should have a nice fat looking, fat sounding stack!"

I would try posting the pic over on that thread, the TE guys may be able to help more.