1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which high-wattage tube head....?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Addie Rozella, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Addie Rozella

Addie Rozella

Jul 14, 2014
    Hello. I have been a guitarist for 13 years and have finally switched over to bass, so my knowledge is slim regarding which rig would be best for a live performance.
    I know that I want tubes, just because I like the sound, but I am also looking to be able to have a variety of sounds, and not just a "classic" tube-ey sound. Also I don't like graphic equalizers.

I was reading about a tube/solid state Marc bass head, any thoughts? Also I have read a bit about the Ampeg SVT's, but are they limited in tone?

Also, what kind of cabinet would be best for running something high wattage? I think I want a 2x10 on top of a 1x18, again, any thoughts on this?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I am in an offbeat prog band and will soon be playing a six string bass, and playing shows, so again I need power, but also want a decent range of tonal variety. Something not too treble-ey, but not too muddy and bass-ey...ah!

Thank you!

2. Your question belongs in the amps forum. You will get recommendations for everyones favourite amp.

Play some amps, listen to some bands, buy an amp and get bassing.