1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which is most like a Bongo?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willymotts, Oct 1, 2010.

1. willymotts

willymotts

Aug 30, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I really have my heart set on a Bongo after reading all the good reports. The problem is that I can't get my hands on one in any local GuitarCenter (or any other music store). They do have the usual assortment of StingRays, Sterlings, etc, according to the manager, though. My question is this: can I get a "feel" for what the Bongo will play like by playing one of the other MMs? If so, which one? I currently play a Peavey T40. As I understand it, my T40 neck is slightly larger than the Bongo neck. That is good as I'm looking to "downsize" anyway. Thanks.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Only thing like a Bongo is a Bongo!

3. syciprider

syciprider Inactive

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The Stingray neck is closest to the Bongo except the latter's is painted. The extra 3 frets don't really affect the playing positions that much IMO.

4. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    www.basscentral.com has some wonderful deals on Bongo's. In fact, all of my EBMM basses are only purchased from them.

5. willymotts

willymotts

Aug 30, 2010
    Upstate NY
    I saw BassCentral's deals. Nice. The thing about Guitar Center is that, while they won't order one for the store for me to try, they will take it back there if I have to return it. Unfortunately, they only have the black and the pearl blue. If I had to return one to BassCentral, I would have to pay for shipping and a restocking fee. Although I doubt I would want to return it, that is a lot of money to spend on a "pig in a poke".

6. John127

John127

Nov 13, 2007
    New York City
    I don't know where you are upstate, but if you are near NYC and want to stop by a gig of mine, you can try out my Bongo 5HH between sets or something, no problem, just shoot me a PM.

I just made this offer to someone else as well since NYC seems to be a tough place to find Bongos.

7. willymotts

willymotts

Aug 30, 2010
    Upstate NY
    That's a very nice offer, John, but I'm way up in CNY. I think I'll go to Guitar Center and try out the StingRay to get the feel of the neck. Then, if I like it, I'll probably buy from BassCentral. Of course, I'll call GuitarCenter and tell them how they lost the sale! Thanks again for the offer.

8. Gasman

Gasman Gold Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2007
    South Carolina
    The Stingray neck is wider than the Bongo's. The Bongo's neck is between the Jazz/Sterling and Precision/Stingray. In terms of weight, it is considerably lighter than the Stingray, which is probably lighter than your T-40. I agree with mmbongo- nothing really sounds like it, not even the Stingray or Sterling. I also recommend Bass Central. While they will charge a restocking fee, they will probably sell it to you for less than GC, which should offset the fee if returned but will be a better deal in the long run because THERE IS NO WAY YOU WILL WANT TO RETURN IT!!!!!!

Bongo's rule!

9. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I've owned 2 Stingrays and a Bongo and the Bongo is a beast all on it's own. Nothing compares to the tone of that sucker. It's amazing. Do yourself a favor and buy one. You can usually get them dirt cheap too.

10. willymotts

willymotts

Aug 30, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Actually, Guitar Center is only $6 more than BassCentral. Too bad they have such a small selection and are unwilling to work with me. I'm thinking I should just pull the trigger and do this deal. I'm currently in a top 40 country band but I think the HH will be good for that and anything else in the future. Thanks.

11. John127

John127

Nov 13, 2007
    New York City
    I have to tell you, I was set on buying a Stingray and ended up with a Bongo once I picked it up....it was the feel. They are very different, but it's really a matter off personal preference. The Bongo just felt so smooth and fast in my hand. The neck seems less chunky and has a different (painted...smoother?) finish on the back than the Ray.

Oh, and as far as the sound, with the HH you're set for virtually any kind of music! It's got the best active electronics I've ever heard.

12. I haven't seen a Bongo here in about 3 years!

13. mccartneyman

mccartneyman

Dec 22, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Managing Editor, Bass Guitars Editor, MusicGearReview.com
    I didn't care fpr the Bongo neck although I kinda like the StingRay. I agree that the Bongo -- especially the 4 -- feels a bit small. But I really love Lakland fiver necks.

14. willymotts

willymotts

Aug 30, 2010
    Upstate NY
    OK, everyone, I "pulled the trigger". I just got off the phone with BassCentral. I ordered the 2008 (new, in box), LTD, Sequoia Gold, 4-string Bongo with the Lizardback case. Somebody remind me to breathe.....

15. John127

John127

Nov 13, 2007
    New York City
    Conrats! Enjoy, you'll love it.

16. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Welcome to the club.

I really can't think of a single thing that I don't like about my bongo except that I can't switch the coils in the humbuckers like I want to (series/parallel/single coil, etc). You're going to love the bass. I bought a 6er a while ago, and I'm gonna get a fretless here in a while.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021