Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atreyucurse, Feb 22, 2005.

1. atreyucurse

atreyucurse

Feb 22, 2005
    Hi
    I am hoping to buy a jazz bass soon but i am wondering should i go for the MIM standard jazz or should i wait longer and get the deluxe series active one? Is there any tone/quality of build difference between the two?

2. Try them out and see for yourself. I have the American Deluxe version of the Fender Jazz, and it plays great. The one nice thing on mine (and all deluxe jazz's) is the mid control. I love having that extra tone control, especially since I change the mids more than any other frequency.

3. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Two words...Geddy Lee

4. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    I second that, I love my Geddy more then some MIA Deluxes I've played :)

5. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes there is a difference in sound. The dlx is an active bass and with the new noiseless pup addition it's a very nice bass! The active bass will give you more of a tonal variation than the standard bass. Out of those two I'd pick the dlx bass! BTW I happen to own a MIM dlx (older version).

6. I tried a deluxe a couple of months ago, and to me, the deluxe had a rounder tone than you'd generally find on passive Jazz. With that said, the passive Jazzes (the last one I tried being a '78 MIA) have a little more "organic clarity" in their tone. As one TBer has already said, try them both and you make the choice...as other TBers have suggested, throw a Geddy Lee into your testing.

Try B4 U Buy

7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1

Motion carried. Get the Geddy. :)