Which jazz?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by atreyucurse, Feb 22, 2005.

1. atreyucurse

Feb 22, 2005
    I am hoping to buy a jazz bass soon but i am wondering should i go for the MIM standard jazz or should i wait longer and get the deluxe series active one? Is there any tone/quality of build difference between the two?
  2. Try them out and see for yourself. I have the American Deluxe version of the Fender Jazz, and it plays great. The one nice thing on mine (and all deluxe jazz's) is the mid control. I love having that extra tone control, especially since I change the mids more than any other frequency.
  3. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Two words...Geddy Lee
  4. tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    I second that, I love my Geddy more then some MIA Deluxes I've played :)
  5. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Yes there is a difference in sound. The dlx is an active bass and with the new noiseless pup addition it's a very nice bass! The active bass will give you more of a tonal variation than the standard bass. Out of those two I'd pick the dlx bass! BTW I happen to own a MIM dlx (older version).
  6. I tried a deluxe a couple of months ago, and to me, the deluxe had a rounder tone than you'd generally find on passive Jazz. With that said, the passive Jazzes (the last one I tried being a '78 MIA) have a little more "organic clarity" in their tone. As one TBer has already said, try them both and you make the choice...as other TBers have suggested, throw a Geddy Lee into your testing.

Try B4 U Buy
  7. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine

Motion carried. Get the Geddy. :)