1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Metal bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Metaljunkie, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Metaljunkie

Metaljunkie

Sep 16, 2008
    Im playing in a pretty small metal band and am getting a new bass. Im picking between either the ESP F104 or the Epiphone Goth Thunderbird. What are your opions on both and which should i get? By the way under $400 im not rich. O also i forgot about the Traben Phoenix, wat about that?

2. lucretius

lucretius Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2006
    Milwaukee
    I play in a metal band and I use an Ibanez SR500. Don't limit your options so much. But I do also have an ESP B204. I used to enjoy playing it a lot but don't care for it much anymore after I got my Ibanez. I've heard the Thunderbirds are quite neck-heavy.

3. lowendgenerator

lowendgenerator

Mar 26, 2006
    CHI/NWI
    I would not recommend the Epi bird in any situation. That bass is a miserable beast to play. The neck is huge and hard to play, and the neck pocket is so shallow that playing in the first position caused my hands to cramp.

Never played an ESP, but I've heard good things about them. Also check out Spector, Warwick and even active Fenders.

4. fuzzurin

fuzzurin

Apr 2, 2008
    I cant stand Epiphone Thunderbird, either. Seems like a lot of people here really like it, though.

Spector makes amazing basses for metal. ESP's pretty good, as well.

5. Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Aug 25, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Go with an Ibanez. From my experince the necks are thinner and quicker. Also should ba able to find something in your price range.

6. double-muff

double-muff

May 5, 2007
    Iceland.
    Ibanez ATK anyone?

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    How is it that a neck pocket affects your playing in the first four frets?

8. sr500's are the best ''metal'' cheap bass around (I mean inexpensive here). Try to get a pre-2006 for the wenge neck, which is much better than the jatoba one.

9. definitely don't get the thunderbird. neck dive is a atrocious and its uncomfortable to play in general. I would say get a ibanez Soungear bas or a Spector ReBop. The spector has a better feel and sound but may push your price range a little, but both basses feel really good.