1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which pre ernie ball stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by olddog, Dec 7, 2011.

1. olddog

olddog

May 15, 2011
    Am interested in adding a vintage stingray to the collection, any info on a good year model would be helpful....

2. '76 - '78 would be the best. B00 model (serial number on neck plate B00XXXX). Epoxy pre-amp. I have an all natural one. I would love to get an Inca Silver one.

3. olddog

olddog

May 15, 2011
    I found a 76 with radio knobs, and a 77 black ray, I was just curious if there was any physical differences.

4. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    To be honest, I thought when Ernie Ball took over they improved the Stingray immensely, especially wrt the feel & construction quality of the necks. The only pre-ErnieBall Stingray that would float my boat is one of the graphite-necked models.

5. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I had a '77 that was a stellar bass. One of the best sounding basses I have owned(it weighed a TON though). I really do think that the new Classic series from Musicman combine the best aspects of the old models and new(6 bolt neck, 2 band pre with bridge mutes). I can understand wanting a vintage bass though. If you are dead set on one I agree with the above. Look for a '76-78 BOO serial number.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I love all the preEB era's. The necks on the 81-83 Grover Jackson finished era are killer, most comfortable slim feeling. But the 76-78 with the early long-pole pickup seem fatter on the bottom.

In a collector sense, the BOO serials seem to gain the most collector attention. If you can find those in custom colors you're golden.
    But I consider them all good. You just have to watch out, during '83 a batch of bum necks were shipped with non-functioning truss rods.

Lots of great info:
    Home - Musicmanbass.org, Music Man, Musicman, Music Man Bass, Musicman Bass, Music Man Guitar

7. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I haven't played very many pre-EB Rays, but I own a '78 and I LOVE it.