Which should I keep?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by birminghambass, Oct 8, 2005.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Here's my dilemma. I currently have three basses: a '72 Jazz, a G&L SB2, and a MM Sterling. I have decided that I only need 2 basses. I rarely gig anymore, and I've given up on the rock star dream. I'm not selling my '72 so I have to decide between the other two. The SB2 is a MONSTER tone-wise and plays great. The MM also sound great too but actually feels more comfortable to play. I mostly play rock and blues covers. Which would you keep and why?
  2. Good call keeping the '72 Jazz. I sold mine 6 years ago(horribly twisted neck, refin, aftermarket pups) and I still regret it. I'd probably keep the G & L if I was in your shoes.
  3. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I say keep the MM, because if it feels better to you, and the tone is at least almost as good as the G&L, you can always tweak the sound on your EQ, outboard pre-, etc.
  4. CentralCoastBass

CentralCoastBass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    National Reso-Phonic Guitars
  5. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Well, okay, I'm biased, but I do think you answered your own question.
  6. slapnuts

Aug 9, 2005
    Marietta, GA
    Well, the G&L and jazz are very simialar as they are both fender-y. In my opinion, if I had a MM, it would be a stingray. Now, the MM and the G&L. MM, availaible everywhere, G&L, harder to find. I played a G&L of that same model and I loved it, so honestly, I would get rid of the MM. But why get rid of it? They are all different basses and have different tones and stuff? Just keep them all in my mind, unless you are trying to getr something bigger and better, even then, ditch the sterling.
  7. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
  8. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Well.....You have the SB-2 which is kinda like a Fender Jazz(on 'roids)...which you said you were keeping. I'd say loose the G&L because the MM is a different sounding bass than the Jazz. That way, you'd have that jazz bass sound and a humbucker growl too. Dang...that's a hard decision! yer killing me. Can't you just keep em all and eat Ramen noodles the rest of your life!?!?
  9. birminghambass

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL