1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Sonar version?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, May 31, 2007.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'm looking for software to replace Cubase LE that I use with my Presonus Firebox. I do not find Cubase very intuitive, and it doesn't support drag and drop of midi files. Annoying! I want to pick up Sonar, I like what I have seen from the tutorials and demos, but I don't know which version I should get. I plan on using this to record tracks with my wife (keyboard), do some midi work, and I use DFH Superior. I have not recorded much with Cubase LE either, but I don't want to invest the time in learning the software. Which version will work for my needs? I want to make sure it comes with at least some reverb or eq plugins at the very least. I don't know what else I might need since I have not done much home recording.

2. twangchief

twangchief Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    Maybe try the 'Home Studio' version first. Save some $$$ and them upgrade if you need more.

I have the Sonar Home Studio but unfortunately have not used it enough to compare it to Cubase LE.

3. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    There are a couple versions of the home studio. I think one has like a drum machine and more plugins. Which one do you use? Find any limitations?

4. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    I have Sonar Home Studio 4 XL. It didn't have the session drummer. I'm planning on upgrading to the latest Sonar Home Studio version soon. I intend on using it more now.

I'll let you know what it's like.

5. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    It is a shame that their demo version is the PE version with all the bells and whistles.

6. save yourself a few steps and get sonar6 producer edition the vintage channel 64(mastering plugin) as well as all the other plugins will justify the expenditure JMHO:D

7. twangchief

Oct 30, 2003
    Altoona, PA
    For the most part, this is really true. You never have to wonder if you're missing anything.

My problem is that I never have the time to learn all the bells and whistles.

8. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    spendy, even with crossgrade discount! Like $399 at retailer pr $369 on ebay.

9. I was lucky i got an ''education'' discount with Sonar 6 PE :) I haven't done much with all the bells and whistles as it were but so far so VERY good :p

10. I used to us Sonar PE5 but I switched to Reaper. Its inexpensive and works great!!!
    http://reaper.fm/

11. I got reaper trail... it kept freezing my computer :(

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021