Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which sound cards

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Somebassguy, Jan 18, 2004.

1. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Curious as to what sound cards you guys are using for recording on your computers.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I use a M-Audio Audiophile 2496, great card, superb drivers, highly recommended.

Stay away from Creative Labs!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Hi JMX, you always seem to give very sound advice. Why stay away from Creative Labs? Since I'll be upgrading sound cards shortly this is very important to me.

Edit: Back in my hay days all my recording was done in the studios, computer based recording is still very new to me :)

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Soundblaster Live and the Audigy chips work @ a fixed sample rate of 48 kHz internally only. This means that every other sample rate has to resampled on the fly by the soundcard driver (latency!!!). When you want use the ASIO driver of the Audigy, you can only use the 48 kHz sample rate, because the low latency nature of ASIO makes resampling impossible. So you have to resample EVERY sample you want to use in your projects to 48 kHz.

HORRIBLE.

Buy a real musician's card like the Audiophile and save yourself a lot of headache.

5. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Works great for me. 8 Line Ins, 4 Line Outs, 2 Optical and 2 Coaxial.
    Records smoothly.
    Unfortunately the company discontinued the line, so I can´t get updated drivers (only for Win98).

6. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Ok ordered the M-Audio Audiophile 2496! thanks a ton for your help JMX.

On a sound note, how do I get soundfonts and how do I incorporate it into my sound card midi files. I will be using my SB 16 PCI till I get the M-audio in about 2 weeks. Thanks a ton in advance :)

SBG