1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Speaker Did I Blow?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phalex, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I had a little mishap this past weekend, or at least I assume I did anyway. On Friday night, right at the start of the 2nd set, my stage rig started making a noise that I figured could only mean a blown speaker. It was the death rattle of a paper cone.

It was very loud, and very obvious to more than a few people. I did however manage to make it go away by using compression, and turning the volume up to make up for the compressor. It sounded fine the rest of Friday, and no problem at all on Saturday.

My big problem is this: in a 410 cab how do I figure out which speaker crapped out on me?? I took the grill off, and the cones on all the speakers move freely with no scratchy noise, so I'm pretty sure the coils didn't delaminate. When I plug it in and play loud enough for it to distort, Holding individual speakers from moving makes no difference, besides, my entire basement seems to resonate and add a lot of buzz anyway. I had plaster dust falling from the ceiling all over the place.

I took a speaker out to access the inside of the cab, and all the connections look good, the wiring is neat and tidy and nothing is laying across the backside of a cone.

I did notice that all the mounting screws could have been tighter, so I snugged them all up, but I'll be damned if I can figure out the problem I had on Friday.

Anyone got any insight??

2. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

If your cab has 1/4" jacks and they aren't being used, often they are the source of air leaks. Plug 'em with foam earplugs and see if it helps.

This is a common problem on Eden cabs, and it probably applies to others. Always sounds like a bad driver!

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Ah crap, a few years ago I could have said "Speaker of the House?"

Think about it.... ;)

4. You may have fixed it by tightening the mounting hardware, can make the same rattle.

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I have my fingers crossed that the loose screws were the culprit. I'll know for sure next weekend. Who knows? I may be back here looking for advice on replacement stuff some time in the future.