1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which stainless steel DR B string for metal?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by GK Growl, Mar 27, 2013.

1. GK Growl

GK Growl Banned

Dec 31, 2011
    :eek:

I thought the title might get some attention!

That said, for you rock/metal guys out there, which DR strings do you prefer out of the following only (I have a nickel allergy so I can't/won't do 'em and the coated varieties sound terrible IMO):

Hi Beams
    Lo Riders
    Fat Beams
    DDT

I only have experience with a Hi Beam B string and I'm wondering what everyone's thoughts are. I currently use a 135 gauge tuned to B flat for pick and finger style and it is good but there might be something better. Opinions?

2. tylerwylie

tylerwylie

Jan 5, 2008
    Dunwoody, GA
    Some folks will say the Lo Riders or DDT's will fit the bill. I think the Fat / Hi Beams B strings sound much better than the Lo Riders even if they do feel a bit looser.

I play metal on my fretless tuned to standard, and I use .030 .040 .060 .080 .100 .125 Fat Beams. Though I do occasionally use my fretted now when I play metal, but even then I'm using a .125 Fodera string.

Speaking of which, if you like the DR strings give the Fodera's a shot too if you want something else to try.

http://www.fodera.com/Shop/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemID=345

There's a cheaper place you can get them though. :ninja:

3. mmoore2490

mmoore2490

Jan 8, 2013
    i love the ddt's. didnt like lo riders as much. i tune to drop c, cgcf and the low c rings beautifully! they have plenty of tension and got rid of that sloppy feeling on the low string. the amount of clarity and punch they gave me was awesome!

not that its a deal breaker but long story short i keep my live rig at my parents because i like in an apartment. while i was practicing i had fender super bass 7250's on tuned to drop c. i swapped to these half way through and even my dad made a comment about the change in sound. more aggressive and almost growled! :hyper: you can imagine how happy i was. lol

Dr DDT 45-105 medium.