1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Strings For More Volume On AE

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Robert Spencer, Nov 22, 2010.

1. I have a Hohner acoustic that I use at home unplugged. It has GHS tapewounds on it now. Since I no longer amp it I was wondering if I can get more volume by switching to another string set. (Basicly the E string is the one in need of higher volume).
    Any suggestions. Thanks & take care. Bob

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    If you increase the gauge of the E string only you'll bring the set into balance - an acoustic needs consistent downforce on the saddle from string to string in order to get consistent volume from string to string.

3. Thanks knuckle head. By increase the gauge do you mean going to a higher number ( lighter gauge & smaller diameter) E string?
    If so what gauge might be appropriate?
    From your reply I get the impression that you are assuming that I am playing through an amp & the pickups are a part of the equation. Is that correct? I see the problem as simply a matter of either string size or its ability to vibrate & produce sound. Also what about tuning to a higher pitch just for the sake of solo practice? I should explain that the root of the difficulty is that I am pretty hard of hearing. Tuning a step higher might not work in a band situation but this is for solo home practice & my goal is just to be able to hear myself (primarily on the E string).
    Thanks again & take care. Bob

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Where in the world did you get that idea? He clearly spoke about how an acoustic needs to have consistent downward pressure on the bridge. Heavier E and A strings can help achieve this. From experience, switching to Phosphor Bronze strings will help immensely as well.

The real heart of the matter is in the design of the acoustic bass. There's a reason upright basses are so large and bass amp cabinets tend to be much deeper - the low sound waves need the room to resonate to audible levels.

Try switching to some D'Addario or Martin acoustic strings.

5. funk metal bass wrote:
    "Where in the world did you get that idea? He clearly spoke about how an acoustic needs to have consistent downward pressure on the bridge."
    Funk metal bass as I read the statement it read on the saddle not on the bridge. I associated sadle with the pickups (peizo) below it and their need to have consistant pressure throughout to amplify the signal in a uniform way.
    Your suggestion of acoustic string is well taken however. Thanks & take care. Bob