Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

which way to play

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by 10-4bassist, Jul 6, 2004.

Best way to play

Poll closed Jul 15, 2004.
  1. Play bass with a pick

13 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. play bass with fingers

138 vote(s)
    91.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Which way is the best way to play, i am just wondering which way would be the way to get the best sound out of the bass

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    PLEASE not another pick or fingers thread.

1) Overdone thread.
    2) At worst, it could be in technique.
    3) More people use fingers for a reason ;), at least make sure you can use both.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It's better to be able to use both.

4. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I use my fingers for just about everything. On occasion though, I will rip out a pick for a metal song for that Megadeth type sound. Get good with both. Trust me, they are both very worthwhile to learn.

5. ok thanx i am new at the bass, i just started like 2 monthes ago and i just wasn't sure but thanx 4 the help

6. Jones_5s

Jones_5s

Feb 24, 2004
    Quebec, Canada
    play the right way with your fingers and leave the picks for guitarist, you can acomplish the same thing and a hell of a lot more with fingers then picks, picks suck.... :spit:

7. *sigh*...

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    There is no better or best here. Whatever serves the music best should determine the technique.

Every bassist should be able to use both

9. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    True.. Very true!! I especially like "Whatever serves the music best.."

10. danshee

danshee Banned

May 28, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    This is like way way way overdone. Everyone from here on out, Learn with them both!!!!

11. IN before the close.

I use both, but 80% I use my fingers. The finger option includes slapping too, I assume.

12. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Chris Squier
    Bruce Foxton
    Matt Freeman

There are tons more really great pickplayers out there. Don't let anyone tell you either is right or wrong. Whatever feels comfortable to you. I started with pick and moved to fingers a long time ago because of the whole "fingers are better picks....bassists that use picks suck" mentality. I'm much more proficient with my fingers than I'll ever be with a pick but I wish I would've practiced both equally. I'd love to be as proficient with a pick as I am with my fingers. I think picked bass tone sounds great (especially P bass). I can get close to the tone with my fingers but never nail it. Take my advice...Practice both!
    -Bazz-

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Play the only proper way, with your toes. :D

14. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Once youve played a lot you will realize that the pick is a tool for special ocations such as singing and playing the bass at the same time.For me fingerstyle is good if you change beetwen techniques frequently fingerplaying->slap->tapping->Thumping->double thumping.

15. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Learn both. It's good to have different sounds for different situations. The bite and the "up and down" articulation of playing with a pick is preferable in some circumstances to the rounder sound of fingerstyle, but nothing can replace fingerstyle for those deep, groovin' moments. Being versatile makes you a better bassist.

Russ :bassist:

16. Which way should you play?

Always play with your amp facing south.

The opposite would be true in the southern hemisphere. :bag:

Mike :D

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I'm surprised this thread is still open..

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    *shrug* Just learn double-thumbing, it's a nice compromise between both! :D

I can't get used to a pick for fast songs, but it's still in my arsenal.

19. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Power drill, man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.