Who Does It ???????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Clark Dark, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    :help: I am trying to build myself 3 basses. (2 five string and 1 four string) :D I want them to have swamp ash bodies, maple necks and fingerboards. No problem right ??? WRONG !!!!! :scowl: It seems that all the "parts suppliers" :confused: e.g. Warmoth, USA Custom, All Parts, Musikraft, WD, Stew Mac and the like only use the fender template. Some of these don't even have bodies with a P-J pickup rout. I want my basses to have 24 frets and I'm not talking about any kind of fretboard extension. The way the lower bout of the fender body is cut it doesn't allow for access to a 24th fret anyway unless your fingers are a foot long. Does anyone know anyone who will build to a customers taste? I don't want a finished instrument, just bodies and necks that I will finish...and then :bassist:
  2. You could ask any custom shop bass builder to just build you a body. It would be spendy but if you want something that custom you dont have many other options.
    Cheers, and best of luck!
  3. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    Warmoth will make your shape for extra, I think. I dunno about the others.
  4. Just wondering...Why do you want to build them yourself? Hobby, for kicks, etc...again, just wondering why.
  5. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    I was asked why I want to build them myself and the answer is I get everything I want. I'll use bridges that adjust for height as well as spacing. I'll use Barts with separate volume controls, (no blend pot for me) an Aguilar OBP-1 and Gotoh tuners. To get a custom builder to include all those things in a finished guitar would keep him, (or her ???) salivating for centons. I'd rather pay someone to build the body and neck, and I have a headstock design I created and want to use...Then I'll have the Bass of MY dreams :D
  6. Clark Dark

Clark Dark

Mar 3, 2005
    Warmoth only offers a 24 fret bass if you buy their Gecko model...they otherwise will extend the 21 fret neck with a piece of wood. Problem is with the fender body shape you cannot reach all 24 frets. They don't build to taste.
  7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    If you are going to build a bass, why don't you build one from the ground up? Then you will be fully accomodated.

Hang out in the luthiers corner and most likely one of the cats could help you, if don't want to build everything completely from scratch.